Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, drank about an ounce of the fluid late Thursday afternoon before realizing it tasted wrong, said Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock.
Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning after blood samples showed "measurable levels" of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said.
"All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products," James told The Associated Press. "This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator."
Investigation under way
Neither James nor officials at the state Department of Human Service could immediately name the day care in the Scott community, about 15 miles east of Little Rock. DHS spokeswoman Julie Munsell said investigators planned to visit the day care Friday.
The children all were examined by doctors at the hospital and the day care provided a sample of the windshield wiper fluid for laboratory testing, James said.
The toxicologist warned that many antifreeze or windshield wiper solutions have bright colors, which children can mistake for fruit drinks.
"I think the take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation," she said.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
While allegations of sexual harassment topple the careers of some men, Trump moves ahead unscathed as he writes his own rules.
AP sources: Congressional investigators asking 2 participants in 2016 Trump Tower meeting why they discussed the gathering in Moscow a year later.
Young co-founded the rock back with his brother in 1973. He stopped performing with AC/DC in 2014 after being diagnosed with dementia.
The top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee says the Trump administration's decision to allow the importation of body parts from African elephants shot for sport is the "wrong move at the wrong time.".
The Keystone pipeline has leaked 210,000 gallons in rural South Dakota, but officials don't believe it has polluted water.