It doesn't take much for someone to notice that your house is not experiencing the
normal flow of traffic or routine. Criminals are always looking for the easy way to get
by and are basically lazy. Below is a simple list of things you can do to help protect
your home while away:
1. Keep your exterior doors and windows locked at all times.
2. Keep an exterior light on at night unless you have a motion detector that
3. Keep your landscaping nice and tight. Always make sure you don't have a
shaggy tree or bush close to your home.
4. When you are away on vacation or business trip, make sure you have someone
watching your home for you. You need to have someone pick up your mail and
newspaper and take into the home.
5. Utilize timer lights in areas that are normally lit up at night and visible from
6. If you have someone meeting you at your home to leave together, do not leave
their vehicle sitting in your driveway for an extended period of time. Criminals
will figure out that no one is home. Place the extra vehicle in the garage or
offer to pick them up at their home.
7. Don't post your vacation plans with exact dates on social network sites, or post
pictures of you while on vacation.
Finally – make sure you advise your alarm monitoring service that you will be away
from home and an emergency contact number they can reach you at.