Lawton_Seventy buildings on Fort Sill, including fifty used for family housing, were evacuated Wednesday night due to a major gas leak on Rogers Lane. The leak was repaired around 9:30pm, and those evacuated families can now return home.
The leak started around 5pm on Rogers Lane between Sheridan Road and Fort Sill Boulevard when a contractor accidentally struck a 10-inch, high-pressure gas main.
The gas leak shut down traffic between Fort Sill Boulevard and Sheridan Road for several hours.
Families who were evacuated from their homes on Fort Sill to area hotels are free to return tonight.