UPDATE: Mobile home fire caused by space heater - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

UPDATE: Mobile home fire caused by space heater

Posted: Updated:

STEPHENS Co., Okla_ A Stephens County family was left without a home Thursday after a fire destroyed their mobile home overnight.

Six volunteer fire departments were called to the blaze near Townley Road and the Comanche-Stephens County line a little after midnight. A fire investigator said it was started by a space heater sitting next to clothes in the master bathroom of the house. He said the clothes became overheated and ignited with the family still inside.

The family is upset about the fire, but is more than happy to see no one was hurt or trapped inside when flames broke out. Now, all they want to do is find a way to move on.

Matthew Quisenberry said he was in his bedroom talking with his mother, Shelly before the fire broke out. He said he could hear a loud beeping in the house, but he didn't know where it was coming from.

"She didn't think nothing of it," Matthew said. "She went to go let the dog out, and I went to the kitchen to check my food."

He never made it to the kitchen; something coming from his mom's bedroom caught his eye.

"I saw smoke coming out," Matthew said. "I yelled to her telling her I saw smoke."

Shelly said when she heard her son yell from inside the house, she quickly ran inside and saw for herself what was going on.

"When I turned to the back part of the house," Shelly said, "I could see the smoke coming out of the vents from the bedroom and underneath the door."

She said all she could think about was getting her kids out safe, and she did.

"I didn't know how bad it was or where the fire was," Shelly said. "I knew it was back in my bedroom somewhere, but you never know how fast they're going to move."

Oklahoma State Fire Marshal Field Agent Judah Sheppard said although luck played a role in helping everyone get out safely, the family also deserves some credit, since their smoke detectors were working.

"They're very lucky they were awake," Sheppard said. "They had smoke detectors in the home, and they were the hardwire kind. They followed the guidelines and actually had battery backups in them. So, they had notification. They got out, and that is the best part of all of it."

He said if anyone has to rely on a space heater to keep warm this winter, always remember one rule.

"Put them at proper distances away from any clothing or fabric," Sheppard said. "They require a minimum of three feet to be used."

A lesson this family learned the hard way.

"It could have been a lot worse," Matthew said.

"Just thank God we got out," Shelly said.

Sheppard said never plug in space heaters to extension cords or surge protectors. They need to be plugged directly into the wall socket because of the amount of electricity needed.

The home is a complete loss. The family is staying with other family members for the time being.

 

Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811
Email: news@kswo.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.