Residents Rescue a Family from Their Burning Home - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Residents Rescue a Family from Their Burning Home

Residents Rescue a Family from Their Burning Home

Posted: Updated:

Lawton, Okla._

Residents at a mobile home park in Northeast Lawton rushed a family to safety Sunday morning, after flames were spotted shooting from their mobile home. The fire broke out around 11:00 a.m. at the Sherwood Village Mobile Home Park near Northeast Flower Mound Road and Gore Boulevard.

Several residents said after they smelled the smoke and saw the flames, they immediately rushed to the house, kicked in the door, got the family to safety and attempted to put out the flames. Inside the burning home, was a couple with two small children and the mother is nine-months pregnant.

Homeowner, Diamond Francis, said the charred doorway on the back porch of her former home is an eerie reminder of a fire that could have quickly spiraled out of control, but didn't because of a few of her courageous neighbors. Christina Boswell, who lives next door, said she was standing outside when she smelled something burning.

"Leaves and twigs burning it kind of smelled like that. I was talking to my mom and I went down and I thought there house was on fire," she said.

She said after she smelled the smoke she walked to the back of the mobile home and saw flames and smoke billowing from this doorway. Knowing that the family was inside, she immediately ran to the front portion of the home and kicked in the front door to try and get the family to safety.

"She was standing there with both of her kids fighting over the door. I was like get out get out your back porch is on fire. They're like we know and she's grabbing her kids and I was throwing them out one by one," said Boswell.

Boswell said she then ran to her sister's home across the street for additional help. Jamie Gonzalez, Boswell's sister, said she could also smell the smoke and quickly leaped into action to help.

"I ran out the front door went around and grabbed my water hose and dragged it across the street and turned it on. My sister's father-in-law stood over there and put the fire out," she said.

The sisters said they thought the flames were extinguished but the fire re-ignited. Luckily, by that time firefighters were there to put it out. Francis said she still can't believe that a few people she said she hardly knew came to her family's rescue.

"I am shocked because there's still good people out there. You wouldn't think that and she doesn't even know me. And she's doing that, her and family are coming here and doing that. These neighbors, they were very, very awesome today,"  said Francis.

Firefighters said the home is a complete loss. The Red Cross stepped in to help the Francis family and the Sherwood Village property managers already have a new mobile home for the family to move into.

Firefighters believe a discarded cigarette ignited the fire.

Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811
Email: news@kswo.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.