U.S. embassy closures a window into threat concern - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

U.S. embassy closures a window into threat concern

By MATTHEW LEE

AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The map of closed American embassies - and those that remain open - in the Middle East and Africa provides a window into the Obama administration's concern about a potentially imminent al-Qaida terrorist attack on overseas U.S. interests.

While diplomatic missions across a broad swath of the Arab world are affected, some, including in capitals that have been targets for extremists in the past, are not. And those chosen for closure in Africa and the Indian Ocean suggest that the fear may be as much about the vulnerability of certain embassies and staff and the range of increasingly mobile terrorists as it is about specific threats.

One apparently key factor: How significant is the security that is now in place?

A total of 19 U.S. embassies and consulates in 16 countries have been ordered to close to the public until Saturday. They run along a jagged, east-to-south crescent from Libya through the Persian Gulf to Rwanda and include the island nations of Madagascar and Mauritius. That's fewer missions in fewer nations than were ordered closed this past Sunday in the administration's initial response to intelligence that al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula was gearing up for an attack.

The changes, coupled with the inclusions and omissions, show how the threat analysis has evolved.

President Barack Obama, in his first public comments on the matter, said the terror threat is "significant enough that we're taking every precaution." Despite the global travel warning, he said Americans should not cancel their overseas travel plans but should "show some common sense."

"There are some countries where you're less likely to experience a terrorist attack, there are some that are more dangerous," Obama said in an interview with NBC's "The Tonight Show" taped for broadcast Tuesday night.

According to the State Department, the closures are all the result of the same intelligence on the threat. Yet, that intelligence stream appears to be significantly diffuse, covering embassies and other posts stretching 4,800 miles from Tripoli, Libya, to Port Louis, Mauritius, and not limited to Muslim or Muslim-majority nations.

"It is the same stream that we've referenced in travel warnings since Sunday," department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Tuesday, adding: "Obviously, there's new information." She would not elaborate.

Clearly, Yemen, where the department ordered most U.S. government employees to leave early Tuesday, is at the center. The base of Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen has been the subject of a dire and continuous U.S. travel warning since 2002.

An intercepted secret message between al-Qaida chief Ayman al-Zawahri and his deputy in Yemen about plans for a major terror attack triggered the closures. Al-Zawahri's message to Nasser al-Wahishi was picked up several weeks ago and appeared to initially target Yemen, according to officials familiar with the matter. The threat was expanded to include American or other Western sites abroad, officials said, indicating the target could be a single embassy, a number of posts or some other site.

Based on their very close proximity to Yemen, U.S. facilities in that country's closest neighbors - Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Djibouti - could be considered logical targets, as could posts in Egypt, Jordan, Libya and Sudan. But Lebanon, which has been the site of major anti-U.S. terrorist attacks in the past, is not included. And, neither are Morocco and Tunisia, where extremists have also struck previously.

Missions in Mauritania, Algeria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, where attacks have long been frequent, were covered in the initial closure order but were allowed to reopen on Monday.

U.S. diplomatic posts in Pakistan, which have been hit repeatedly by notoriously active extremists, were never closed in response to the latest threat. Nor were those in Indonesia or Kenya or Tanzania, all of which have come under attack by al-Qaida or its affiliates. Thursday will mark the 15th anniversary of the 1998 attacks on the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam.

In each of those countries, past terrorism experience has led the U.S. to significantly increase security at its missions.

Thus, it is significant that the State Department deemed it prudent to close its embassies in Rwanda and Burundi, two tiny central African countries known for genocide and brutal tribal clashes. It also shuttered embassies in Madagascar and Mauritius. Apart from domestic political instability that has led to violence, Madagascar has not been a particular security concern for the United States in the past. Likewise, Mauritius, a sleepy but stable and relatively prosperous country without an army, has not been on the terrorism radar before.

Yet, uneven border policing and inconsistent performance by security forces in each of those four countries, coupled with a less intense day-to-day security focus from Washington could make them attractive to would-be attackers.

___

AP White House Correspondent Julie Pace in Burbank, Calif., contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:44:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

  • US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:16 AM EDT2018-06-23 09:16:27 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:43:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing...

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.

  • Cohen's photo with Tom Arnold fuels Trump tape speculation

    Cohen's photo with Tom Arnold fuels Trump tape speculation

    Friday, June 22 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-06-22 20:02:45 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:43:51 GMT
    (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017 file photo, Tom Arnold attends the premiere of "Dead Ant" in Los Angeles.  Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former attorney, retweeted a photo posing with Arnold, who is...(Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017 file photo, Tom Arnold attends the premiere of "Dead Ant" in Los Angeles. Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former attorney, retweeted a photo posing with Arnold, who is...

    President Donald Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen retweeted a photo posing with comedian Tom Arnold, who is working on a show to hunt down recordings of the president, fueling speculation that Cohen may have...

    President Donald Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen retweeted a photo posing with comedian Tom Arnold, who is working on a show to hunt down recordings of the president, fueling speculation that Cohen may have secret tapes of Trump.

Powered by Frankly