Comanche Co. Family Displaced After House Fire - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Comanche Co. Family Displaced After House Fire

Posted: Updated:

FAXON Okla_ Firefighters in Faxon worked frantically Monday afternoon, after smoke and flames tore through a family's home, leaving them without a place to stay.

It broke out just after 1:00PM Monday in Comanche County just west of Faxon on Logue Chapel Road. The homeowners came home only to find smoke pouring out of the windows and called 911.

They're still pretty shaken, but the Red Cross has stepped in to help out. Fortunately, they weren't at home when the fire started, so no one was injured. Firefighters were also able to rescue the family's animals after they leaped into action.

"When we got on the scene, we had smoke coming out the back of the house, out of the roof area, and out the door area that was exposed to the east," Chattanooga Fire Chief Jack Nicholson said.

Large flames sent Chattanooga Volunteer Firefighters scrambling to save one family's treasured possession: their home. The fire started in the kitchen, spreading into the utility room, the dining room, and up into the attic. Firefighters quickly got the blaze under control.

"We had the flames out for what we could see," Nicholson said.

The fire had not exhausted its fury, rekindling in the attic. That led to a second department being called in to help salvage the home. The damage is extensive. Dripping water is the only sound to be heard from the inside of a home that used to house five people.

Firefighters say it was lucky that no one was inside home when the fire broke out, and the family was able to get their animals to safety while firefighters kept the blaze from totally engulfing the home.

"The guys actually did a good job saving most of the house," Nicholson said. "The fire might have gotten into about 20 to 30 percent of the house."

The water and smoke damage are spread throughout, making it impossible for the family of five to remain living there. While the investigation is still ongoing, Comanche County Emergency Manager Clint Wagstaff said all signs currently point to a portable water cooler in the home's kitchen. It ignited quite the blaze in the back portion of the home, calling for the extra manpower of a second department to fully get the fire out. Wagstaff also warned that Tuesday's conditions of high winds and low humidity present a high fire risk for Southwest Oklahoma. So, people should be extra cautious with outside fires and anything that could spark a flame.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811
Email: news@kswo.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.