Cigarette to blame for crawl space fire - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Cigarette to blame for crawl space fire

LAWTON, Okla._ Fire crews were called to a northwest Lawton home Friday afternoon after a neighbor saw smoke coming from below the structure.

Investigators say the fire started in the backyard near the foundation of home after a cigarette was not discarded properly. Leaves and other debris nearby caught on fire and smoke spread throughout the crawl space of the home.

"I just smelled some smoke and then looked over at the neighbor's house and saw smoke billowing from under the house and went over and knocked to see if anyone was home," said Rodney Cobb, who caught the fire in the early stages, according to fire officials.

Firefighters had no choice but to rip up the flooring inside the home in order to reach the fire.

Two people were inside when the fire ignited. They were able to escape without injury.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • WATCH: Norman PD releases series of hot car safety videos aimed at saving lives

    WATCH: Norman PD releases series of hot car safety videos aimed at saving lives

    Friday, July 28 2017 2:34 PM EDT2017-07-28 18:34:52 GMT

    Oklahoma has the fourth most hot car deaths per capita in the country since 1998 and 20 so far this year.  Heatstroke is the number one vehicle-related killer of children in the country. Norman Police Department recently posted a series of videos on their Facebook page to illustrate this danger. They put one of their officers in full uniform inside the car. It was 92 degrees outside when they started and 10 minutes later, it was 116 degrees inside the car. 

    Oklahoma has the fourth most hot car deaths per capita in the country since 1998 and 20 so far this year.  Heatstroke is the number one vehicle-related killer of children in the country. Norman Police Department recently posted a series of videos on their Facebook page to illustrate this danger. They put one of their officers in full uniform inside the car. It was 92 degrees outside when they started and 10 minutes later, it was 116 degrees inside the car. 

  • Terminally ill British baby Charlie Gard dies

    Terminally ill British baby Charlie Gard dies

    Friday, July 28 2017 1:27 PM EDT2017-07-28 17:27:27 GMT
    Friday, July 28 2017 2:28 PM EDT2017-07-28 18:28:48 GMT

    Charlie Gard, an 11-month-old, died after a lengthy legal battle over his care.

    Charlie Gard, an 11-month-old, died after a lengthy legal battle over his care.

  • OSBI seeks the return of a piece of evidence in man's Seminole Co death

    OSBI seeks the return of a piece of evidence in man's Seminole Co death

    Friday, July 28 2017 1:47 PM EDT2017-07-28 17:47:37 GMT

    A body found near HWY 56 and I-40 has been identified as Thanakrit Thuetong, a 41-year-old man from Thailand. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is now asking for the public’s help. Thuetong was last seen on surveillance video walking outside of a convenience store, past his 2009 black Pontiac G5 car in the parking lot, and along the highway with a black backpack. 

    A body found near HWY 56 and I-40 has been identified as Thanakrit Thuetong, a 41-year-old man from Thailand. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is now asking for the public’s help. Thuetong was last seen on surveillance video walking outside of a convenience store, past his 2009 black Pontiac G5 car in the parking lot, and along the highway with a black backpack. 

Powered by Frankly