Two Killed in Break-In Shooting; LPD Following Leads - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Two Killed in Break-In Shooting; LPD Following Leads

LAWTON Okla_ After going more than three months without a homicide investigation, Lawton police are investigating the killings of three people in two separate Monday morning incidents.

Police say the first two happened just after 2:00AM when a father and his young son were gunned down inside their northwest Lawton home on 12th Street and Columbia Avenue. The victims have been identified as 49-year-old Uwe Rushing and 13-year-old Stefan Rushing. Police say the two victims, along with another 18-year-old family member, were watching TV when the shooting happened. The 18-year-old was not injured, and police say it does not appear that the attackers had to force their way in. 

The crime scene is still active, as investigators search for answers.

"It did not appear that there was any type of struggle," Lawton Police Captain Craig Akard said. "It appears that they came in through the back door and surprised the occupants of the house."

It was an unwelcome surprise; a father and his two sons were together watching television in their living room when tragedy struck.

"They came around, and that is where they fired the rounds," Akard said.

The 18-year-old was able to break away, sneaking away to grab a gun in an attempt to defend himself and his family.

"He was able to get into a bedroom and obtain a shotgun and shoot at least one round at them before they left the house," Akard said.

He was the only one who would survive and is now the only first-hand witness to the murders. So, detectives spent the day scouring the neighborhood looking for answers. Akard said there is still a lot of investigating ahead.

"There is some more processing that still needs to be done on the house," Akard said. "There are some more neighbors that need to be talked to."

Authorities are hoping that an assault that happened outside of the home on Friday will give them some much needed clues in the case. Someone had come up to the front door of the same home and confronted the father. There was nothing physical during that incident, but there was an argument at the front door.

"The same detectives that have the homicide have that case also and are going to look into them to see if they are somehow related," Akard said.

Police said they still don't know what the motive could have been for the shooting. So, they are exhausting all possible avenues to help provide closure to an 18-year-old who doesn't understand why his family would be targeted.

"That is why we are looking closely at the incident that happened last weekend," Akard said. "He did not have any idea why something like this would happen."

Akard said the 18-year-old was questioned and then released. He is staying with relatives. No one has been ruled out as a possible suspect. Akard confirmed they don't believe a shotgun was used to kill the two victims. Their bodies have been sent to the medical examiner's office.

The description of the attackers has changed slightly, following interviews with the 18-year-old. The two suspects are men of an unknown race that were wearing masks, head coverings, and black sweaters. Anyone with information is being asked to call Crimestoppers at 580-355-INFO.


Powered by Frankly