Cache Fire Department Reminds Residents of Permits - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Cache Fire Department Reminds Residents of Permits

Posted: Updated:

CACHE, Okla__ The Cache Volunteer Fire Department is trying to save their rural residents thousands of dollars.

They are issuing permits for $100 to residents outside city limits to cover them in case of fire.

If a resident doesn't have the permit, they will still be covered but they will be charged for the service.

Chief Dale Winham says it's something that many volunteer departments do, and wanted residents to know that Cache Fire is not a subscription department.

Meaning if you call 911 without the permit they still will respond but the price may get you.

"Just imagine someone in the rural area has a structure fire, we are going to respond with a command vehicle, a tanker, an engine, probably a rescue truck, probably a brush truck or two.  That's $125 per truck, plus $5 per mile to and from.  So an average bill per structure fire for rural areas can be about $1,200. $1,200 versus $100 you can't beat that," Winham said.

The permits are not just helping the residents in rural areas, it also helps the volunteer department run.

"Our response area is just getting larger and larger.  By us responding to lets say all the way to Deyo Landing Loop, even on a false alarm it actually costs us money because of maintenance cost, fuel costs, things such as that," Winham said.

Winham says even though the department has been doing this before he was even there, it's something that has to be brought to the public often.

"We do live in a military type area. We have people who come and go, we have people who stay a year or two and they leave us.  We have people who that come in and stay for awhile, they're not aware even them being in the rural area to what fire department supports their area when there is a fire," Winham said.

Winham also says with the conditions this part of the state are in, with extreme drought and high winds, having the added insurance of not having extra charges from a fire are well worth it. 

Chief Winham also added even if a controlled burn starts on another property down and the wind causes the fire to spread to yours, you are subject to a bill if they fight the fire on your property.

To get the permit, you can either go to Cache city hall, or mail a check or money order for $100 to city hall with your home's address. 

Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.