Bus carrying Flower Mound school students catches fire - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Bus carrying Flower Mound school students catches fire

Posted: Updated:

LAWTON, Okla._ An exciting trip to the national archery competition for some elementary students here took a turn for the worse early Thursday morning.

Students from Flower Mound Elementary were a few miles outside Tulsa, near Catoosa, when their bus went up in flames. All 34 people on board managed to get off before their charter bus became an inferno.

“The fire just went everywhere on the bus and it made the whole bus go black," says Aleah Weber, an archer at Flower Mound.

The glow from the flames erupting from the torched bus lit up the night sky around 3:30 a.m.

“Kind of like a fireworks show almost, but it wasn't very pleasant,” says John Glenn, head coach of the archery team.

Less than 15 minutes prior, the bus was packed. It was a rush to evacuate all the passengers.

“They were like ‘get off the bus.’ So, we just started grabbing kids,” says Christie Weber, a parent and team sponsor.

On board, there were 13 archery players from Flower Mound Elementary, along with their parents, siblings and the bus driver, who is being dubbed the hero.

“He’s the one who went out and checked and said 'get off the bus'," says Weber.

The group was on their way to the national archery competition in Louisville, KY. The team recently performed well in the regional and state tournaments.

Many of the passengers were sleeping when the back tire began sparking.

"Like a wildfire ... just lots of flame,” says Weber.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol says a problem with an axle started the fire which ultimately charred the bus down to its metal frame.

Glenn says he’s most upset his team did not have the opportunity to shine on the national stage.

“Just sad, disappointed for the kids ... they invested in it. They invested their heart, their passion, their time, their money."

The group was unable to salvage thousands of dollars in personal items, and for the archers, like Kenzie Weber, their bows were lost in the blaze.

“I’ve had it for two years and I was sad to see it got burned,” she says.

Her mom says she is counting her blessings because no one was injured.

“We all made it out safely. None of the kids got hurt. It was just a true miracle,” says Weber.

The team was set to compete Friday afternoon. A number of businesses and organizations offered to fly the team to the competition. The school, however, respectfully declined so they could get their affairs back in order. The superintendent said Thursday afternoon they have started planning an overnight archery trip for the students in June.

Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811
Email: news@kswo.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.