Detectives testify in Weimer case

Detectives testify in Weimer case

LAWTON, Okla._On day three of the murder trial of a Lawton man accused of beating his fiancé's son to death, jurors were presented with the interrogation video of the accused killer while being questioned by police.

Charles Weimer was charged with first-degree murder in 2012. All along he's maintained the two-year-old died while in his care after falling down a flight of stairs.

The jury watched the two hour long video of the interrogation of Weimer which occurred just hours after the boy's death. Then, they listened to testimony from the two detectives who were called to investigate the case the day the boy was brought to the hospital and died.

In the interrogation video, Weimer told police he was supposed to drop JP off at his fiancé's mother's house earlier that morning but didn't because he was tired and the boy wasn't injured until later that afternoon.

While being questioned by detectives, Weimer said when he finally decided to go into work that afternoon he picked up JP and took him outside of the apartment. He said he sat him down, knowing that he would probably run to the railing because he always did. He said in the few seconds it took him to lock the door, JP fell down the first flight of stairs, face first, hitting the back of his head when he landed. He said JP said he was hurt and that he didn't see any blood, just a little bump on his forehead.

Weimer said he put JP in his car seat and then called JP's grandma to tell her what happened. During that time he said JP's eyes started rolling in the back of his head, so he started yelling at him to keep him awake.

During the interrogation, Weimer was asked if he had whipped JP before, and he said that he had but only a few times on the behind and on the head. When asked if he got along with JP he hesitated and later said that he didn't agree with how JP's mother treated him. He said he felt like she babied him and that she often accused him of being too hard on her son.

Towards the end of the interrogation detectives told Weimer they were having a hard time with his story because his story did not match the boy's injuries.

Detectives also said the boy had no cuts or tears on his clothes which would have been there since the stairs the boy allegedly fell down were metal and cement. When the defense asked why the stairs weren't swabbed for DNA, detectives said they had searched for skin, blood and fibers and saw none and said his DNA would have been present regardless of injury since the child lived there.

The prosecution will continue presenting its evidence Friday.