Haynes will stand trial for the death of his wife - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Haynes will stand trial for the death of his wife

Posted: Updated:

LAWTON, Okla._The daughter of a murder victim testified about the night her mother died during a hearing in Lawton for the man accused of killing her.

Herbert Haynes has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife, Irene. He was in court for a preliminary hearing to determine if there's enough evidence to put him on trial. Investigators say Haynes stabbed his wife to death in January after an argument in a motel on Cache Road.

Samantha McFadden, one of Irene's three children, says it was a long day waiting for the 2:30 p.m. preliminary hearing, but was able to make it by having her family around her. She also focused on being there for her sister Brittany Smith, who testified.

"That was hard. It's really hard not to snap on the guy cross examining my sister but I understand that has to be done. I just want to try to be strong for her. She's my older sister so it's hard to see her like that," said McFadden.

Smith told the court her mother had called and asked for a ride because she and Herbert had been arguing. Smith said she overheard Herbert saying he'd kill her, but Smith said she couldn't pick her mother up because her car wasn't available. Later, Smith called Irene back, but Herbert answered, and said she had started walking to Brittany's apartment. Smith said she did not believe that.

She and her cousin started listening to a police scanner and heard an ambulance responding to the motel room. Smith says she then got a phone call from Herbert that said ‘Brittany, your mom is dead.’ By this time Smith had her car and rushed to the room but was stopped by police in the parking lot.

She says she could see her mom lying in the doorway and then the next time she saw her was in her casket. The hearing ended with the judge's ruling, Haynes will stand for trial. It was a ruling McFadden says is a step in the right direction.

"All we are looking for is justice. We are not wishing anything bad on anybody else we just want justice from our mom. That is it," said McFadden.

There was one other witness, Jonathon Santiago, the first officer on scene. He says when he got there Haynes had blood splattered on his face, clothes and hands. He also said Haynes was saying “She is in there” and “It was self-defense.”

Haynes’ next step is his formal arraignment where he will find out his trial date. That will be set within the next 30 days.


Powered by WorldNow
KSWO-TV, 1401 SE 60th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Telephone: (580) 355-7000
Fax: (580) 357-3811
Email: news@kswo.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KSWO. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.