NY police chokehold death to go to grand jury - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

NY police chokehold death to go to grand jury

By MICHAEL R. SISAK and TOM HAYS

Associated Press NEW YORK (AP) - A New York prosecutor said Tuesday he would ask a grand jury to consider charges in the death of a black man placed in an apparent chokehold by a white police officer.

Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan announced Tuesday that an extra grand jury will be asked to hear evidence next month in the July 17 death of Eric Garner.

"I assure the public that I am committed to conducting a fair, thorough and responsible investigation into Mr. Garner's death, and that I will go wherever the evidence takes me, without fear or favor," Donovan said in a statement.

Garner, a 43-year-old father of six, could be heard on an amateur video shouting "I can't breathe!" as Officer Daniel Pantaleo placed him in an apparent chokehold. Police said the officers were arresting Garner on suspicion of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes.

A second video, which appeared to have been shot shortly after Garner was handcuffed, showed him lying on the sidewalk, apparently unresponsive. More than three minutes in, medics arrive and one checks his pulse. Garner is lifted onto a gurney and transported to a waiting ambulance about two minutes later.

A bystander asks why no one is performing CPR and one officer responds, "because he's breathing."

Garner, who had asthma, died a short time later.

Donovan said his decision to take the case to a grand jury was based on his office's investigation and the medical examiner's ruling that the death was a homicide caused by neck compressions from the chokehold, chest compression and Garner's prone position while being restrained.

Donovan said a court granted his request for the extra grand jury on Monday. He said in a statement that he would make no additional comment about the panel's work, including possible witnesses and charges, to maintain proceedings' secrecy.

Pantaleo, an eight-year NYPD veteran, was stripped of his gun and badge after Garner's death and another officer was placed on desk duty. Two paramedics and two emergency medical technicians were suspended without pay.

Pantaleo's lawyer, Stuart London, said it was too early to say whether his client would testify before the grand jury.

"That's a decision that I weigh very carefully," London said.

Patrick Lynch, the president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said the union expected a grand jury investigation and is encouraged that the process is moving forward.

"We are confident that a fair and impartial grand jury that is allowed to conduct its deliberations based on facts and not emotion or political considerations will see that justice is served," Lynch said in a statement.

Civil rights leader the Rev. Al Sharpton plans to lead a march to Donovan's office on Saturday. Protesters are calling for Donovan to file criminal charges or let federal prosecutors take over.

Several members of New York's congressional delegation last week echoed the call for the Justice Department to investigate.

They questioned whether Donovan, a Republican, could adequately investigate the case given his close working relationship with police and the borough's large population of police officers.

Sharpton said he, Garner's family and the family's lawyers will meet Thursday with U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch to reiterate their desire for a federal investigation.

"This announcement does not impact our move for federal takeover of this case at all," Sharpton said in a statement.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Sex abuse victims join hands, accept courage award at ESPYs

    Sex abuse victims join hands, accept courage award at ESPYs

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 11:20 PM EDT2018-07-19 03:20:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 4:02 AM EDT2018-07-19 08:02:33 GMT
    (Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.(Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.

    The women who spoke out against the abuse by Larry Nassar stood together Wednesday night in a powerful and solemn closing to the show highlighting the past year's top athletes and moments in sports.

    The women who spoke out against the abuse by Larry Nassar stood together Wednesday night in a powerful and solemn closing to the show highlighting the past year's top athletes and moments in sports.

  • FBI Director Wray says Russia continues to sow discord in US

    FBI Director Wray says Russia continues to sow discord in US

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 8:09 PM EDT2018-07-19 00:09:49 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 3:31 AM EDT2018-07-19 07:31:30 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...
    FBI Director Christopher Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin's denial of election meddling.
    FBI Director Christopher Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin's denial of election meddling.
  • Zuckerberg: Holocaust deniers won't be banned from Facebook

    Zuckerberg: Holocaust deniers won't be banned from Facebook

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-07-18 22:08:46 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 3:26 AM EDT2018-07-19 07:26:02 GMT
    Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)

    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.

    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.

Powered by Frankly