US official: Iran nuke talks could continue beyond deadline - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

US official: Iran nuke talks could continue beyond deadline

By GEORGE JAHN and MATTHEW LEE
Associated Press

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) - Nuclear talks between Iran and six world powers could be extended past Tuesday's deadline for the outline of an agreement if enough progress is made to justify it, a senior U.S. official said.

The statement suggested that talks meant to produce an outline that would allow the sides to continue negotiations until the June 30 final deadline had not bridged all gaps - but that the sides were working to produce a text with few specifics, accompanied by documents outlining areas where further talks were needed.

Experts and diplomats are working around the clock, the official said, and they will keep at it "if we are continuing to make progress, including into tomorrow, it it's useful to do so."

Officials earlier said that they hoped to wrap up six days of marathon talks with a statement agreeing to continue negotiations in a new phase to control Iran's nuclear ambitions.

They had set a deadline of Tuesday for a framework agreement, and later softened that wording to a framework understanding, between Iran and the so-called P5+1 nations - the United States, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China.

After intense negotiations, obstacles remained on uranium enrichment, where stockpiles of enriched uranium should be stored, limits on Iran's nuclear research and development and the timing and scope of sanctions relief among other issues.

The aim has been a joint statement is to be accompanied by additional documents that outline more detailed understandings, allowing the sides to claim enough progress has been made to merit a new round, officials said. Iran has not yet signed off on the documents, one official said, meaning any understanding remains unclear.

The talks have already been extended twice as part of more than a decade of diplomatic attempts to curb Tehran's nuclear advance.

All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment on the talks on the record.

If the parties agree only to a broad framework that leaves key details unresolved, President Barack Obama could face stiff opposition from members of Congress who want to move forward with new Iran sanctions legislation. Lawmakers had agreed to hold off on such a measure through March while the parties negotiated.

Obama has warned that passing new sanctions during the talks could upend the sensitive discussions.

The softening of the language from a framework "agreement" to a framework "understanding" appeared due in part to opposition to a two-stage agreement from Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Earlier this year, he demanded only one deal that nails down specifics and does not permit the other side to "make things difficult" by giving it wiggle room on interpretations.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who left Lausanne Monday, arrived back in the Swiss city by late afternoon, an indication that an end to the talks could be near.

In Moscow, he told reporters: "Prospects for this round of negotiations were not bad, and I would even say good."

Some of the P5+1's foreign ministers joined Kerry and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif at the talks over the weekend in an intense effort to reach a political understanding on terms that would curb Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.

Kerry and others said the sides have made some progress, with Iran considering demands for further cuts to its uranium enrichment program but pushing back on how long it must limit technology it could use to make atomic arms. In addition to sticking points on research and development, differences remain on the timing and scope of sanctions removal, the officials said.

The Obama administration says any deal will stretch the time Iran needs to make a nuclear weapon from the present two to three months to at least a year. But critics object that it would keep Tehran's nuclear technology intact.

Officials in Lausanne said the sides were advancing on limits to aspects of Iran's program to enrich uranium, which can be used to make the core of a nuclear warhead.

Uranium enrichment has been the chief concern for more than a decade. But Western officials say the main obstacles to a deal are no longer enrichment-related but instead the type and length of restrictions on Tehran's research and development of advanced centrifuges and the pace of sanctions-lifting.

Over the past weeks, Iran has moved from demanding that it be allowed to keep nearly 10,000 centrifuges enriching uranium, to agreeing to 6,000, plus another 480 centrifuges in the underground facility in Fordo that the Iranians say would be used only to enrich other elements used for peaceful purposes. The officials said Tehran now may be ready to accept even fewer.

Tehran says it wants to enrich only for energy, science, industry and medicine. But many countries fear Iran could use the technology to make weapons-grade uranium.

___

White House Correspondent Julie Pace contributed to this story.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Fire burns 200 acres in west Lawton

    Fire burns 200 acres in west Lawton

    Thursday, March 23 2017 7:52 PM EDT2017-03-23 23:52:33 GMT
    (Source KSWO)(Source KSWO)

    A grass fire in Lawton scorched more than 200 acres Thursday afternoon, threatening several homes and businesses.

    A grass fire in Lawton scorched more than 200 acres Thursday afternoon, threatening several homes and businesses.

  • Anonymous threat puts Lawton High Schools on lock down

    Anonymous threat puts Lawton High Schools on lock down

    Thursday, March 23 2017 7:17 PM EDT2017-03-23 23:17:33 GMT
    [Source KSWO][Source KSWO]

    LAWTON, OK (KSWO)- All three Lawton high schools were placed on lockdown today after someone called Crimestoppers, saying they had heard about a threat targeting each one of the schools.

    LAWTON, OK (KSWO)- All three Lawton high schools were placed on lockdown today after someone called Crimestoppers, saying they had heard about a threat targeting each one of the schools.

  • Obamacare repeal vote put off in stinging setback for Trump

    Obamacare repeal vote put off in stinging setback for Trump

    Thursday, March 23 2017 7:17 PM EDT2017-03-23 23:17:26 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 7:17 PM EDT2017-03-23 23:17:26 GMT

    A late-night meeting of moderate-leaning members Wednesday broke up without resolution or a deal as most lawmakers left out of side exits and avoided talking to reporters.

    A late-night meeting of moderate-leaning members Wednesday broke up without resolution or a deal as most lawmakers left out of side exits and avoided talking to reporters.

Powered by Frankly