A Child Who Hopes: Marcus - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

A Child Who Hopes: Marcus

LAWTON, Okla._A musically gifted 17-year-old is looking for something we often take for granted…a family to call his own.

Smart, determined and talented are just a few words to describe Marcus. Marcus spent a day at Phillips Music Company doing what he loves most, playing guitar.

There's just something about music that soothes the soul.

"It calms me. I don't why, it just calms me," said Marcus. "Whenever I get upset or angry, I'll go to my room and play my guitar."

Marcus, who is currently in foster care, says he taught himself to play five years ago.

"I'd walk around and start humming something. Then, after I hum it, I'd find out how to play that song on the guitar.

While Marcus draws inspiration from stars like Willie Nelson and Jimi Hendrix, he's also inspired by everyday people.

"Anybody I can see that can really play, I'm like 'I want to be like that guy. That's the guy. I want to be him'," said Marcus.

The nearly straight “A” student says while music is his first career choice, he also wants to study engineering at Oklahoma State University.

"I really like math and science and figuring out how things are put together and how they work," he said.

Whichever path he chooses, it's clear the high school sophomore is determined to succeed.

"Throughout my lifetime, I've had people say ‘you won't be successful at this, you won't be able to do that.' And I plan myself to set out and prove those people wrong. I will go out. I will be successful and I will do those things that you can't do," said Marcus.

When Marcus is not busy with music, he likes to fish and golf. He also has a part-time job and is looking forward to getting a driver's license soon.

A Child Who Hopes airs the first Tuesday of each month on 7News. For more information on how you can help, go to adoptokkids.org or call 1-800-376-9729.

More than $55K raised for teacher who stopped shooter

Sunday, May 27 2018 3:24 PM EDT2018-05-27 19:24:15 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 11:27 PM EDT2018-05-28 03:27:55 GMT
    (Southern Illinois University via AP). RETRANSMISSION TO CORRECT NAME TO JASON SEAMAN - In this undated photo, provided by Southern Illinois University, Jason Seaman, a defensive end for the SIU football team, poses for a photo in Carbondale, Ill. Seam...(Southern Illinois University via AP). RETRANSMISSION TO CORRECT NAME TO JASON SEAMAN - In this undated photo, provided by Southern Illinois University, Jason Seaman, a defensive end for the SIU football team, poses for a photo in Carbondale, Ill. Seam...
    Online fundraiser has already surpassed $55,000 goal for Indiana teacher shot while tackling armed student.

More LGBT issues loom as justices near wedding cake decision

Saturday, May 26 2018 9:33 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:33:35 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 11:27 PM EDT2018-05-28 03:27:20 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...

A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through courts and that'll continue, no matter what the Supreme Court decides in the case of a baker who wouldn't create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Bloody but forgotten WWII battle still haunts soldiers

Sunday, May 27 2018 11:34 AM EDT2018-05-27 15:34:09 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 11:27 PM EDT2018-05-28 03:27:17 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...(AP Photo/Mark Thiessen). In this May 19, 2018, photo World War II veterans Allan Seroll, left, of Massachusetts, and William Roy Dover, right, of Alabama, right, attend a 75th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Attu in Anchorage, Alaska. Dover w...

One of the bloodiest World War II battles in the Pacific was waged 75 years ago this month on Attu Island in Alaska's Aleutian Islands.