Cache Road exit closed to fix dip - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Cache Road exit closed to fix dip

LAWTON, Okla._Just eight months after the tri-level re-construction project was completed in Lawton, one phase of it was shut down again Monday.

Drivers northbound on I-44 won't be able to use the Cache Road exit for the rest of the month. Monday morning, crews began making surface repairs to the bridge, while commuters grumble over the return of the all-too familiar construction cones and closure signs.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation said Monday, there was a dip in the road where the flyover bridge met the pavement of the off-ramp, that didn't meet their specifications, their or expectations of the contracted work.

ODOT Resident Engineer Jerry Harwell said three months after the project's initial completion, they did a test drive and weren't happy with the final product.

"A lot of times we feel stuff on a road after it's completed that the public doesn't feel, but we're looking for it. We just didn't like the way it rode and when we did check it was outside of the standard we normally go by," Harwell said.

He said they looked into what caused the dip whether it was a design issue, or something that was surveyed wrong, and ultimately decided it was a specification error by the company contracted to complete the job.

"It's just been a matter of time of getting their schedule set to where they can come back and do the work," Harwell said.

While the current pave job didn't pose any danger to drivers, Harwell said it could have caused problems later down the road.

"Could just be some cracking and stuff that could develop that normally wouldn't develop that fast," he said.

In total, it's only about 80 feet of the off-ramp that needs to be repaired, but he said crews will pretty much have to start fresh in that area.

"You have to have that concrete a certain thickness, and on concrete you pretty well have to take everything out down to the sub-grade," he said.

He said the repairs come at no cost to the city, state, or the tax payers.

"This will be at the contractor's expense to make these corrections," Harwell said.

He said the month-long closure was a conservative estimate. It could be re-opened sooner, it will just depend on how long the concrete takes to set and strengthen.

Harwell also explained why there was a discrepancy between the time they found the dip a few months ago and when construction crews could start work, he said they had to work with the contracting company to schedule a time when they could come back out to fix the error.

Powered by Frankly