Oklahoma man convicted of illicit sexual conduct in Kenya - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Oklahoma man convicted of illicit sexual conduct in Kenya

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - A federal jury convicted an Oklahoma man on Friday of illicit sexual conduct with children at a Kenyan orphanage that specializes in caring for neglected children.

Matthew Lane Durham, 20, was found guilty of multiple federal charges of engaging in illicit sexual conduct in foreign places and faces decades in prison at sentencing.

He was acquitted of several other charges that alleged he left Oklahoma with the intent to sexually abuse children.

Durham had served as a volunteer at the Upendo Children's Home in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi since 2012. He was on his fourth visit when he was accused of sexually assaulting children between April and June 2014.

"The wolf in sheep's clothing got among the lambs," Assistant U.S. Attorney David Petermann told jurors during closing arguments Thursday.

The jury deliberated for about nine hours over two days.

Orphanage officials and five of the children travelled from Kenya to testify at the trial in Oklahoma City. The children, who speak Swahili, testified through an interpreter only after the judge cleared the gallery and closed the courtroom to the public and media.

Prosecutors also presented handwritten, signed confessions that Durham gave orphanage officials after he was accused of inappropriate behavior. Defense attorney Stephen Jones said the statements were coerced by orphanage officials who isolated Durham, took his passport and created the allegations to get $17,000 from the U.S. government for security cameras.

In the statements, Durham describes the alleged sexual assaults of a 12-year-old girl in a bathroom, and forcing another child to perform oral sex.

"It never happened. I would never do anything to hurt those kids," Durham testified during trial.

Durham also testified about his Christian faith and his onetime belief that he was possessed by a demon that made him "do evil." He also said that despite struggling with a temptation to touch children, he never acted on it.

Prosecutors produced a series of text messages Durham sent to friends while still in eastern Africa, saying a demon named "Luke" was controlling his behavior. In one, Durham wrote: "He stole my passport and is trying to stop me from getting help. He wants me to stay here and do evil with him."

The trial, which started earlier this month, was held in Oklahoma under a federal law that gives U.S. prosecutors the authority to prosecute American citizens who travel abroad for the purpose of engaging in illicit sexual conduct with someone under age 16.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Tillerson softens US stance on possible talks with NKorea

    Tillerson softens US stance on possible talks with NKorea

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 5:33 PM EST2017-12-12 22:33:51 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:55 AM EST2017-12-13 14:55:57 GMT

    Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the U.S. has discussed with China about how North Korea's nuclear weapons might be secured in case of instability in the reclusive nation.

    Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the U.S. has discussed with China about how North Korea's nuclear weapons might be secured in case of instability in the reclusive nation.

  • Would-be suicide bomber in New York City faces court hearing

    Would-be suicide bomber in New York City faces court hearing

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 12:36 AM EST2017-12-13 05:36:50 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:55 AM EST2017-12-13 14:55:49 GMT

    A Bangladeshi immigrant is expected to appear before a federal magistrate to face terrorism charges accusing him of setting off an explosive strapped to his body in a New York City transportation hub.

    A Bangladeshi immigrant is expected to appear before a federal magistrate to face terrorism charges accusing him of setting off an explosive strapped to his body in a New York City transportation hub.

  • Crews gain on huge California fire but wind threat remains

    Crews gain on huge California fire but wind threat remains

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 3:14 AM EST2017-12-13 08:14:26 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 9:54 AM EST2017-12-13 14:54:42 GMT

    Firefighters are finally eking out progress on the titanic task of cutting fire lines around one of the biggest blazes in the history of California.

    Firefighters are finally eking out progress on the titanic task of cutting fire lines around one of the biggest blazes in the history of California.

Powered by Frankly