Duncan couple proves you're never too old to find love - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Duncan couple proves you're never too old to find love

DUNCAN, Okla._"You're never too old to find love" rings true for one newlywed Duncan couple.

Leon Hawkins, 83, and his beautiful bride, 71-year-old Joyce Young, were married Friday at the Wilkins Health and Rehabilitation Community. Hawkins spent most of life as a chaplain in the U.S. Army and served as a missionary with his first wife of 63 years. After her passing just over a year ago, Hawkins says he didn't have a reason to live…until he found love once again.

The pastor marrying the two even joked that no one this young has ever gotten married before. With all jokes aside, the happy couple says this day has given them new life.

If there is one thing Leon Hawkins wants everyone to know it’s that he is a lover. It's evident when you hear him speak of his first wife.

"I miss her something terrible. I was very despondent and I even asked the Lord to take me on home," Hawkins said.

But then one day he caught a glimpse of a woman moving in to the nursing center, and that woman changed his mind.

"I said, ‘Lord, I've changed my mind. I don't want you to take me home now,’" Hawkins said.

Young was also widowed. She says she and Hawkins knew one another from church in years past, but never expected they'd tie the knot one day. Now that she has, she's glad she did.

"He's wonderful, he's kind and I am looking forward to being with him until death do us part," Young said.

She says walking down the aisle yet again has her feeling like a queen. However, Hawkins feels a little different when it comes to all eyes on them during the wedding.

"I'm looking forward to getting it over with to tell the truth. I'm as nervous as I can be," Hawkins said.

Hawkins says this new found love is much more than just feeling.

"Love means that I have a new opportunity. And my health, her health, has increased since we have fallen in love," Hawkins said.

"It's fulfillment, a future love is everything," Young said.

Leon and Joyce were asked where they would go to on a honeymoon if they were to go on one. They both said Colorado. Their room was decorated to make it look like they were in Colorado. The two are very thankful for the workers who put everything together.

The couple recently purchased a king size bed, but were waiting for their wedding night before sleeping in it together.

The Wilkins Nursing Center has been in Duncan for 22 years. Owner Melanie Wilkins says this is the first wedding they've had.

VIDEO: Unruly passenger removed from plane

Saturday, May 26 2018 5:18 PM EDT2018-05-26 21:18:07 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:25 PM EDT2018-05-26 21:25:33 GMT
    (Source: Bill Bolduc/CNN)(Source: Bill Bolduc/CNN)

After the flight landed in Miami, officials boarded and escorted him off.

After the flight landed in Miami, officials boarded and escorted him off.

Amid anti-immigrant sentiment, some Spanish speakers wary

Saturday, May 26 2018 2:14 PM EDT2018-05-26 18:14:01 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:27 PM EDT2018-05-26 21:27:01 GMT
    (AP Photo/Chris Carlson). Lilly Mucarsel, a native of Ecuador, poses for a picture in her office Friday, May 25, 2018, in Tustin, Calif. Mucarsel, 62, of Southern California finds herself reverting to English when she attends a baseball game or goes to...(AP Photo/Chris Carlson). Lilly Mucarsel, a native of Ecuador, poses for a picture in her office Friday, May 25, 2018, in Tustin, Calif. Mucarsel, 62, of Southern California finds herself reverting to English when she attends a baseball game or goes to...

The Trump administration's harsh rhetoric and tougher policies toward immigrants have made some Spanish speakers self-conscious about speaking other languages in public.

Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info

Saturday, May 26 2018 1:13 AM EDT2018-05-26 05:13:07 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:26 PM EDT2018-05-26 21:26:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.
    President Donald Trump's legal team wants a briefing on the classified materials shared with lawmakers.