Lawton women's shelter in need of donations - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Lawton women's shelter in need of donations

LAWTON, Okla._A local women's shelter is asking for help from the public.

New Directions in Lawton needs help with donations of items like furniture, housewares and bedding for some of the families moving out. Kerri Mathews, program director at New Directions, says three, maybe even four, families will soon move out.

Mathews says the shelter is more than just a safe haven for those who come in to their facility; she says it's their goal to give families new opportunities. One way to give them a new start is by providing some of the things many people don't often think about donating.

"If you can think of it, something for a house if you were moving into a home and had absolutely nothing from the little things to the big things to help somebody else and start over,” Matthews said.

Anyone interested in donating to New Directions can call the New Directions hotline at 580-357-2500  

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • 'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:23 AM EST2018-01-17 06:23:26 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 4:15 PM EST2018-01-18 21:15:09 GMT

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

  • Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:53 PM EST2018-01-18 20:53:25 GMT

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

  • Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:47 PM EST2018-01-18 20:47:54 GMT
    (Source Altus Fire Department)(Source Altus Fire Department)

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

Powered by Frankly