Overnight fire destroys home, burns 30 acres

Overnight fire destroys home, burns 30 acres

FLETCHER, Okla._A Fletcher home was destroyed and about 30 acres of land was charred Thursday morning after an overnight fire.

Officials say when Fletcher volunteer firefighters got to the property just north of Northeast 180th Street and Watts Road, a travel trailer was already burned to the ground and the fire had spread to the brush. They say the fire was in a canyon-like area with rough terrain, so it had to be controlled by back-burning. Firefighters were still putting out hot spots a little before 3:00 a.m.

The homeowner made it out safely before the trailer was destroyed. He told firefighters that he believed the fire may have started from a discarded cigarette.

Officials say they were calling the American Red Cross to help him out.