Hannah's Hearts raises money with bazaar - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Hannah's Hearts raises money with bazaar

DUNCAN, Okla._A local non-profit organization has put more than 10,000 items up for sale to raise money for a good cause.

'Hannah's Hearts' provides assistance to families with children who have heart defects and other life-threatening illnesses. To help them raise money, they're holding a fundraising a consignment bazaar Friday and Saturday at the Stephens County Fairgrounds in Duncan.

About eight out of every 100 children are born with a congenital heart defect. Deonna Linsky has five daughters, and two of them were born with heart defects. She took that as a sign that she needed to help other families like hers.

Deonna's first two baby girls were born healthy. But in 2008, Hannah was born with a rare congenital heart defect and she learned firsthand how emotionally and physically challenging it is.

"It is very traumatic, because a lot of people, of course, have children and they're tired. They're exhausted. And then you are thrust into this thing where you have got 14 different doctors telling you a thousand different things," Linsky said.

When the family's fifth daughter, Madilylnn, was diagnosed with Down syndrome and a congenital heart defect, Linsky says that confirmed they were doing the right thing.

"Try to just do something that would help a little bit of the stress or ease the pressure off of them for just a few minutes, even if it's only to be there to talk to them and let them know that there is hope," Linsky said.

After undergoing open heart surgery, both daughters are now functioning without any assistance.

Sara Floyd, one of the vendors at the sale, has known the Linsky family for several years. She says seeing what their daughters went through made her want to help the cause by selling things in the bazaar.

"I like to come out because it is great exposure for my business, but even our booth rent money for this goes towards heart babies, so I just love being a part of it. The Linsky family is a fabulous family and they just have a big heart for these babies," Floyd said.

Those selling consignment items make 70 percent on the sale, while the other 30 percent goes to help Hannah's Hearts. The organization provides bags of necessities to families at OU Children's Hospital and feeds families a meal once every other week at the Ronald McDonald House in Oklahoma City.

This is the second of two consignment sales this year that the non-profit puts on. Last year, they raised nearly $8,000. This year they are hoping to raise even more.

The sale will be open Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Saturday is half price day and will run from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

The next scheduled fundraiser will be in February with the sale of chocolate covered strawberries.

Powered by Frankly