Testimony wraps up in Huling trial

Testimony wraps up in Huling trial

LAWTON, Okla._Testimony has concluded in the child neglect trial of a Lawton woman whose 4-month-old baby died while in her care.

The baby's body was found last September in the home 27-year-old Christine Huling shared with the child's father. Investigators say the two had spent the previous night drinking and smoking marijuana. Tuesday, the jury heard from investigators as well as members of the couple's family, as both sides presented their cases before resting.

The jury saw graphic images of a roach infested home with dog feces on the floor and a cat litter box next to the bed where the baby slept. Most shocking were the pictures shown of baby Alizabeth's body riddled with alleged bug bites.

The prosecution began with video of the police interview conducted on the morning the child was found dead. During the interview, Huling admits to drinking whiskey and smoking weed as well as hiding from police when they arrived. Huling was seen crying on the video saying "I was scared to go to jail. I don't want y'all to think I killed my baby."

The defense says Huling was not in her right mind because she was interviewed just an hour and a half after her baby was found dead.

As for images shown in court, they were graphic. The images showed baby wipes sitting next to litter box as well as a dirty mattress with no sheets where the baby was found dead.

Huling's mother-in-law testified for the defense, saying the home was cleaned regularly. A pediatric nurse, also called to the stand by the defense, said she had examined Alizabeth earlier in the week and said the 4-month-old was diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth disease. However, once shown images of the baby's body from the crime scene, she said the marks on her arm, which the prosecution calls bug bites, were not there the day she examined her.

The Brenke family described Huling to be an attentive mom and says that no one heard any signs of struggle or injury to the baby the night she died.

The medical examiner who testified for the prosecution said the child's cause of death was ruled undetermined.

Both sides will deliver their closing arguments in the morning and then the jury will get the case. If Huling is convicted, she faces anywhere from two years to life in prison.