Electrical line sparks Altus fire

Electrical line sparks Altus fire

ALTUS, Okla._Monday's high winds didn't help when a grass fire broke out in Altus.

The gusts fanned the flames at a field near Tamarack Road, complicating the fire department's control of the blaze. Officials say the fire started due to electrical wires sending out sparks, which set the field ablaze. The spreading fire and heavy smoke forced officials to shut down Tamarack Road while they worked.

The fire scorched about half-a-square-mile, and was under control in about 20 minutes.