Lawton native crowned Miss Kansas USA 2016 - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Lawton native crowned Miss Kansas USA 2016

LAWTON, Okla._A hometown girl is headed to the 2016 Miss USA Pageant.

Victoria Wiggins, 25, won the title of Miss Kansas USA over the weekend, but she was raised in Lawton and attended Eisenhower High School. After graduating, she moved to Kansas. Wiggins has been competing in pageants since she was 15, but had to win a state title to qualify for Miss USA.

Wiggins currently works as a fashion merchandiser at a formal boutique in Lawton, but travels back and forth between Kansas and Oklahoma while helping other pageant contestants find the perfect dress to steal the crown.

Wiggins comes from a family that's no stranger to pageants. She says her mother and sister have also competed, but says she got into it for her own reasons.

"I started because I just wanted a dress, very cliché, I just wanted to dress up and be pretty. My sister was competing for a pageant and I wanted to be just like her, so I started hanging around the dress store, I picked out a dress and I've never left," Wiggins said.

Wiggins was the 4th runner up in Miss Teen Oklahoma, which landed her a $49,000 college scholarship. But even in college, she had dreams of achieving more…to get on the stage of Miss USA.

"My dream is coming true. I have tried for seven years to make it on that stage. It’s really about drive and perseverance," Wiggins said.

It wasn't an easy road. Wiggins tried three times before she landed the title of Miss Kansas USA.

"No matter how many times you hear the word ‘no,’ your ‘yes’ is right around the corner," Wiggins said.

And while she may have started in pageant competitions just to wear a pretty dress, she says that's not what it's all about.

"It teaches you how to be a lady. It teaches you networking, I've gained so many modeling careers and opportunities. You usually end up walking away with a lot of friends because you're there all weekend," Wiggins said.

Wiggins says she's excited for the feedback she has received locally and she hopes to be crowned Miss USA for her home town of Lawton, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

There is no official date or location set as of now for the Miss USA Pageant, but Wiggins is keeping her fingers crossed for Las Vegas.

War of words spreads to soldier's widow, Trump

Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:24:45 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 5:15 AM EDT2017-10-24 09:15:28 GMT

"Yes, the president said that 'he knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.' And it made me cry 'cause I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said he couldn't remember my husband's name," Sgt. La David Johnson's widow said in an interview.

Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

Monday, October 23 2017 3:44 AM EDT2017-10-23 07:44:06 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:34 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:34:41 GMT

Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

Monday, October 23 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:04:12 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:26 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:26:35 GMT
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America.