Home burglarized while Duncan woman in hospital - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Home burglarized while Duncan woman in hospital

The home's backdoor was ripped open while Wanda Liles was in the hospital. (Source KSWO) The home's backdoor was ripped open while Wanda Liles was in the hospital. (Source KSWO)

DUNCAN, OK (KSWO) -A Duncan family is left picking up the pieces after their mother's home was burglarized while she was in the hospital.

Wanda Liles is an 87-year-old, 12-year cancer survivor and an amputee confined to a wheelchair. On Sunday, her house was broken into while she was undergoing in-patient physical therapy. Her family says someone kicked in the back door, smashed pictures frames and stole money and medications.

The thief, or thieves, took $100 in Christmas money for her grandchildren and medications, including Xanax. It may not seem like much, but her family says more than anything, the burglar stole their mother's sense of safety and security.

"I don't know if I will ever be okay again. It was such a shock," Debbie Gent, Liles's daughter, said.

Gent says when she had to tell her mother what happened, she was heart-broken.

"She is scared to come home, and she has lived here for 65 years. Nothing has ever happened and she told me today, she said, ‘I don't want to leave the hospital,’" Gent said.

The screen door was taped shut with electrical tape and the back door was locked, but when Gent came to get makeup to bring to her mother in the hospital, she made the discovery.

"The first thing I noticed was a broken glass, a broken picture frame in the floor and I thought well, I know that I didn't do that and I am sure my brother didn't do that," Gent said.

The drawers were pulled out of the dresser, her jewelry box was riffled through and a family photo frame was smashed.

Gent says even though her mother is confined to a wheelchair, all she wants is for her mother to not have to live in fear when she finally returns home.

"We want her to have the best life possible at this house, so she will be able to stay here," Gent said.

Liles is expected to be released to go home in the next two to three weeks. Her family says they plan to install a security system to prevent anything like this from ever happening again.

Copyright 2015 KSWO. All rights reserved.

War of words spreads to soldier's widow, Trump

Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:24:45 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 5:15 AM EDT2017-10-24 09:15:28 GMT

"Yes, the president said that 'he knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway.' And it made me cry 'cause I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said he couldn't remember my husband's name," Sgt. La David Johnson's widow said in an interview.

Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

Monday, October 23 2017 3:44 AM EDT2017-10-23 07:44:06 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:34 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:34:41 GMT

Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

Monday, October 23 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:04:12 GMT
    Tuesday, October 24 2017 4:26 AM EDT2017-10-24 08:26:35 GMT
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America.