LAWTON, OK (KSWO) –Two inmates at the Lawton City Jail complained of stomach cramps and breathing problems after a maintenance employee tried to unclog a drain.
Around 3 p.m. Tuesday, a maintenance employee poured a cleaning solution down a drain in a jail cell in an attempt to unclog it. The cleaning solution had a "negative effect on the chlorine in the water" and caused a foul odor.
At 4:55 p.m., medical personnel were sent to the jail to check on two inmates that were complaining about stomach cramps and problems breathing. Lawton Fire Department's Hazmat 1 was called in to check the air quality at 5:04 p.m.; they deemed the air was fine and safe. The inmates were cleared and returned to their cells.
"We called emergency personnel because our jailer had even noticed when they walked by that there was a pungent odor," explained Detective Nancy Lombardo, Lawton Police Department.
At 11:45 p.m., four inmates, three more and one of the earlier complainants, complained they had similar symptoms. Two of those inmates were taken to Comanche County Memorial Hospital where they were treated and cleared to go back to the jail. The other two inmates refused to go to the hospital, but they were moved to a different cell at their request.