Fort Sill soldier becomes first female cannoneer - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Fort Sill soldier becomes first female cannoneer

PFC Katherin Beatty graduated as the Army's first female cannoneer. (Source KSWO) PFC Katherin Beatty graduated as the Army's first female cannoneer. (Source KSWO)
Beatty says everyone welcomed her in and treated her like one of the guys. (Source KSWO) Beatty says everyone welcomed her in and treated her like one of the guys. (Source KSWO)
PFC Beatty (Source KSWO) PFC Beatty (Source KSWO)

FORT SILL, OK (KSWO) -History was made at Fort Sill Friday when Private First Class Katherine Beatty graduated as the first female cannoneer in U.S. Army history.

Beatty joined the Army September 2015and decided to become a cannoneer after it was opened up to women in October.

She stood out and led in her graduating class, and was selected as the distinguished honor graduate for her class. Beatty says she was surprised by the mostly positive response she has received so far.

"I was really nervous with my husband being a grunt, so I know how it is. So, actually the first time I came here I just sat down at a table in the DEFAC with all the guys. When we first got here everyone was a little afraid to talk to me and we got on the bus and no one would sit next to me on the bus, and I was just like come on guys you can sit next to me," Beatty said.

Beatty says things eventually started to become normal and people actually started sitting next to her on the bus. She knew before she even started her training, she would be making history when she completed it. However, Beatty says she rarely thought about it during training.

"To be honest, I just feel like part of the team, one of the guys. They just made me feel so welcome that I don't feel any different than anyone else," Beatty said.

She hopes her accomplishing this can knock down barriers for women in the military in the future.

"I just wanted to pave the path, you know, to show females that we can do it, so it's pretty exciting," Beatty said.

Beatty says she thinks there could be a place in the military for all different types of people.

"I don't necessarily think that a specific type of woman has to be here. I think that whether you're a male or female, you have to have a strong heart, you have to be physically strong and just go for it. If you want to do it, then definitely do it," Beatty said.

There's not too much time for Beatty to stop and think about her historical moment as she'll soon be heading to Fort Carson, Colorado.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal

Monday, May 21 2018 8:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 12:52:00 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 8:12 PM EDT2018-05-22 00:12:35 GMT
    fasfdafasfda

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is laying out the Trump administration's strategy for constraining Iran's nuclear program and opposing its other behavior in the region following President Donald Trump's withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

Divided Supreme Court sides with businesses over workers

Monday, May 21 2018 10:21 AM EDT2018-05-21 14:21:59 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 8:22 PM EDT2018-05-22 00:22:17 GMT
    The justices ruled 5-4 Monday, with the court's conservative members in the majority, that businesses can force employees to individually use arbitration to resolve disputes. (Source: Supremecourt.gov)The justices ruled 5-4 Monday, with the court's conservative members in the majority, that businesses can force employees to individually use arbitration to resolve disputes. (Source: Supremecourt.gov)

A new Supreme Court will allow employers to prohibit workers from banding together to complain about pay and conditions in the workplace.

School shooting may not bring change to gun-loving Texas

Monday, May 21 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:52:04 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 8:14 PM EDT2018-05-22 00:14:33 GMT
    (Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.(Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.

The shooting suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, has been jailed on capital murder charges.