Storm damage won't force residents to move - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Storm damage won't force residents to move

GERONIMO, OK (KSWO) –Residents are cleaning up debris and digging through the damage in Geronimo after an early morning storm pounded the town with large hail and 70 mph winds.

Many homes were either damaged or destroyed, the elementary school lost a small portion of its room and several animals were also injured when the storm that swept through.

Two of the people that had their homes damaged because of the storm say even though their homes are gone, they plan on rebuilding and staying in the Geronimo area.

Feliciana Neito's home was damaged in the storm when part of the elementary school's roof flew off and hit her home. Neito says she doesn't know where she's going to live, but doesn't want to move out of Geronimo.

"I've been real happy in this town. I've been real happy since I've been here," Neito said.

With the metal draped over her house, she will have to find somewhere else to live for now.

"I feel real hurting, because I don't have a home," Neito said.

Michael Henning had damage to his property when the last storm went through three weeks ago, but it wasn't as extensive as it is this time.

"I just got all that fixed and cleaned up, and then this happened. So, it is what it is. I'll be alright. I'm not hurt and that's all I care about,” Henning said.

Henning had multiple family members helping out early Thursday morning. He plans on staying with family for the time being. Henning's children set up a GoFundMe page to help out with expenses.

The owner of a horse training facility, James Tisdel, says the facility was also damaged because of the storm. Multiple horses were injured and are being treated and assessed.

"I have one I have real worries on. I mean, I'm concerned about him, but I'm going to let the vet make the call on what we are going to do with him," Tisdel said.

The mayor says the community came together after the first storm, and they are coming together now to help each other.

"I think we've come along from the first one very well and I expect us to come to through this one extremely well also. It just takes a lot of hard work and the community getting together, and we'll make it through," said Mayor Kevin Bayman.

Residents are also receiving help from the American Red Cross, Comanche County  Emergency Management and Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief.

The Red Cross set up comfort stations in Geronimo and Sulphur for anyone that needed it.

As of right now, they don't have a dollar estimate yet of the amount of damage done. The mayor says they are still compiling all of the reports and examining it.

You can see a slideshow of the damage from the storm here.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

A last, last chance: Republicans strain for Obamacare repeal

Wednesday, September 20 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-09-20 08:24:59 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:58 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:58:46 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...

In a sign he remained short of votes, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused on Tuesday to commit to bringing the legislation up for a vote.

Hurricane Maria aims at Puerto Rico after slamming Dominica

Tuesday, September 19 2017 12:12 AM EDT2017-09-19 04:12:30 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:58 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:58:29 GMT

Hurricane Maria threatens Caribbean islands already wrecked by Hurricane Irma and holds the chance of a direct hit on Puerto Rico.

Mexicans dig through collapsed buildings as quake kills 217

Wednesday, September 20 2017 2:33 AM EDT2017-09-20 06:33:01 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:57 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:57:50 GMT

The earthquake struck on the 32nd anniversary of a 1985 temblor that killed thousands and came just two hours after earthquake drills were held across Mexico to mark the date.