Temple residents clean up after overnight storm - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Temple residents clean up after overnight storm

(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)
(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)
(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)
(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)

TEMPLE, OK (KSWO) -Residents in Temple are cleaning up debris after an early-morning storm blew through and left the town without power.

Just after 2 a.m. Monday, 100 mph winds were reported in the town. They are being blamed for knocking down 14 power poles, causing the whole town to spend most of the day without power.

One resident said the property that was damaged can be fixed or replaced, and they are glad no one was injured in the storm. Since the storm came in the middle of the night, some residents were caught by surprise.

"I was a little worried there was a tornado about to come through here. It was pretty scary. I ain't scared by a whole lot of things, I've been through a lot of stuff in my life, but it was pretty wild," said Floyd Parkey.

Parkey says the sound of the storm woke him up. Just a few seconds later, the power went out and tornado sirens were sounding. That's when he decided to look out his front door.

"Water was blowing in my house it was raining so hard. I couldn't see across the street, and then all the sudden a tree by my front door there, it hit the top of the house and I thought it was going to come through the house, but it just lay on top of the house and we was real lucky there," he said.

The storm also did a number on a barn outside of town. The barn’s owner, Brent McIntyre, says when he went out Monday morning to survey the damage, he thought he got lucky.

"I didn't see anything on the south side, so I had kinda thought I had dodged it, but I came around this corner and I saw that most of my barn was gone on this side. It was kinda hard to see at first," McIntyre said.

McIntyre says if they weren't preparing for harvesting season, the barn would have been filled with equipment.

"It could have been worse if it was a week or two ago. When both combines were in here, or if more of the barn would have collapsed and damaged a tractor and a sprayer that were in here, but we were pretty fortunate that that didn't happen. It could have been a lot worse," McIntyre said.

Since the harvest equipment wasn’t damaged, McIntyre says this shouldn't cause any problems when it comes time to harvest.

McIntyre and Parkey say they are cleaning up and preparing for the possibility of having storms again later in the week.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly