Senator Inhofe visits Altus to help push voters on State Questio - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Senator Inhofe visits Altus to help push voters on State Question 777

(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)

ALTUS, OK -Inhofe was in Southwest Oklahoma Wednesday as a part of his push to help pass state question 777 on The Right to Farm bill.

Supporters argue that State Question 777 would allow farmers to defend themselves against unjust laws or laws that would harm the industry, make the state more attractive to farmers, and allow consumers to decide best farming practices through free market competition.

Opponents argue that this would be used to prevent the state and local governments from passing laws to protect small farmers and provide regulations on food and water quality, environmental protections, and animal cruelty. They claim the amendment would give large farms an advantage over small, local farms.

Inhofe says the the idea of this not passing, especially for farmers in small communities, frightens them.

"That scares farmers to death," said Inhofe. "Here we are in an arid part of the state. They would come through and call this a flood plain and just more and more regulation. Endangered species. They can't plow their fields because of that. It's almost as if farmers don't want to have their pristine land and want to take care of their own land, but they do. Bureaucracies don't understand this."

State question 777 will also be on the ballot in the November election.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • 'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:23 AM EST2018-01-17 06:23:26 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 4:15 PM EST2018-01-18 21:15:09 GMT

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

  • Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:53 PM EST2018-01-18 20:53:25 GMT

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

  • Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:47 PM EST2018-01-18 20:47:54 GMT
    (Source Altus Fire Department)(Source Altus Fire Department)

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

Powered by Frankly