OK Congressman Tom Cole speaks out about 2016 presidential elect - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

OK Congressman Tom Cole speaks out about 2016 presidential election

Tom Cole (Source House of Representatives) Tom Cole (Source House of Representatives)

LAWTON, OK (KSWO)- Congressman Tom Cole is commenting on the general election saying while he is republican and supports the republican nominee, he does not support the statements he made that were caught on tape back in 2005.  He feels the candidates should really be focusing on something else in these final weeks before the election.

“It's a disappointing election because we're not talking about things that really need to be discussed, it's a personality food fight between the candidates, that's constructive and important in itself but we're not talking about the issues," said Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma’s 4th District.

Issues, Cole says, like the deficit and how to get the economy moving again and the dangers we are currently facing in the world.  He said If the candidates focused on the "important issues" voters will then be able to choose the best candidate to tackle them.

Congressman Cole also stopped at the Goodyear plant in Lawton this afternoon to congratulate the company for earning the 2016 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award. The award honors employers who support Guard and Reserve employees and was presented to Goodyear at the Pentagon in August.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • 'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:23 AM EST2018-01-17 06:23:26 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 4:15 PM EST2018-01-18 21:15:09 GMT

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

  • Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:53 PM EST2018-01-18 20:53:25 GMT

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

  • Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:47 PM EST2018-01-18 20:47:54 GMT
    (Source Altus Fire Department)(Source Altus Fire Department)

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

Powered by Frankly