Lawton organization empowers blind people - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Lawton organization empowers blind people

(Source KSWO) (Source KSWO)

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) - The White Cane organization was at the Lawton Public Library bringing awareness to the disability of being blind on Friday.

The Lawton Council of the Blind is providing education about services available to those in need. They have a visual service rehab unit, and equipment is handed out and people are taught how to use it. Also offered is information about how to apply for additional services they provide. 

"It was really significant because a couple here and the guy had gone significantly went blind recently he didn't know about any of the services, didn't how to use a cane or anything like that,” said Jody Maples, with the Lawton Council of the Blind. “One of the ladies from the visual services and rehabilitation unit was here she gave him a cane, helped him learn how to walk with a cane and provided him with an application so he can apply for some additional services.”

There are everyday struggles for those with disabilities. But having an organization reach out to help people with disability needs, is empowering to people like Kay Love.

“The White Cane is a symbol to those of us that have difficulty utilizing our environment,” said Love. “And the cane assists us in being more able to communicate in our environment and getting around and being independent.”

This is the first year The Lawton Council of the Blind has had their own local chapter. Previously, people had to travel to Oklahoma City to receive help.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • 'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:23 AM EST2018-01-17 06:23:26 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 4:15 PM EST2018-01-18 21:15:09 GMT

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

  • Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Ardmore elementary school closed due to carbon monoxide

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:53 PM EST2018-01-18 20:53:25 GMT

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

    An elementary school in Ardmore is out for the rest of the week after elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas were detected. It happened while several natural gas heating units were being repaired at Charles Evans Elementary School. More than 100 students were evacuated from a portion of the building. There were no reports of illness or injuries. School officials say students will return to their classrooms next week.

  • Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Fire officials: Check smoke detector batteries

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:47 PM EST2018-01-18 20:47:54 GMT
    (Source Altus Fire Department)(Source Altus Fire Department)

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

    Oklahoma City fire officials are warning people to make sure they install smoke detectors in their home after battling 54 structure fires so far this month. The 54th fire was yesterday afternoon and was spotted by neighbors who called 911. Two people were inside the home asleep at the time. They made it out safely, and the blaze was put out but authorities say the smoke detectors in the home did not have batteries.

Powered by Frankly