Guests evacuated after fire in Lawton hotel - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Guests evacuated after fire in Lawton hotel

(Source: KSWO) (Source: KSWO)
(Source: KSWO) (Source: KSWO)
(Source: KSWO) (Source: KSWO)

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) - A Lawton hotel is closed for the night after a fire broke out in one of the rooms. The fire started around 5 on Tuesday at the Days Inn on Northwest 2nd Street and Northwest Ferris Avenue. The smoke caused police to close off part of 2nd Street for hours. Fire officials say the fire started in a room on the south side of the building where some plumbing maintenance was being done, which caused the wall to catch fire. Those staying on the south side of the hotel were the first guests evacuated by firefighters.

Bryan Fritz, from Ohio, was staying the night with his wife before they made the trip back home the next day.

He said he had no idea the building he was in was on fire.

"I was laying in bed watching a movie,” said Fritz. “My better half went to get something to eat, and I was watching a movie and I heard all this ruckus like kids playing and running up and down the stairs. I get annoyed by it because I thought that's what it was, and I walked out the door and the upstairs of the hotel was on fire. A fireman came in and said you're coming with me and took me out of the hotel."

Maj. Dudley Teeter with the Lawton Fire Department said the fire caused damage to the entire south wing of the hotel.

"We have two rooms that's actually got fire damage to them,” said Teeter. “The rest is just smoke and water damage.”

Firefighters made a hole in the roof to help battle the fire.

As they worked to get it under control, they decided to evacuate all the guests as a precaution. They got the fire out in about 3 hours.

The hotel's power was shut off, leaving those staying there looking for a place to stay on Tuesday night.

"The management here called 5 different hotels to accommodate the residents that are staying at this hotel so we got a room at the La Quinta so we're just waiting for the fire department to allow us to go back into our room and get our belongings and hope that none of it's damaged," said Fritz.

At last check around 9 on Tuesday night, they were beginning the process of clearing all the fire hoses and escorting guests back to their rooms to get whatever belongings they could salvage. No word yet on the estimated cost of the damage.  The good thing is, officials, say no one was hurt in the fire.

Copyright 2017 KSWO. All rights reserved. 

  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • WH claiming sweeping 'executive privilege' in Russia probes

    WH claiming sweeping 'executive privilege' in Russia probes

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:03 AM EST2018-01-17 06:03:38 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 12:26 AM EST2018-01-18 05:26:35 GMT

    The development brought to the forefront questions about White House efforts to control what the former adviser tells Congress about his time in Trump's inner circle - and whether Republicans on Capitol Hill would force the issue.

    The development brought to the forefront questions about White House efforts to control what the former adviser tells Congress about his time in Trump's inner circle - and whether Republicans on Capitol Hill would force the issue.

  • 'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    'Very strong' Democratic sentiment to oppose GOP budget bill

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 1:23 AM EST2018-01-17 06:23:26 GMT
    Thursday, January 18 2018 12:25 AM EST2018-01-18 05:25:42 GMT

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

    Republican leaders are racing against a Friday deadline for pushing a short-term spending bill through Congress.

  • Fire department warns against walking on frozen ponds

    Fire department warns against walking on frozen ponds

    Wednesday, January 17 2018 11:50 PM EST2018-01-18 04:50:11 GMT
    (Source: KSWO)(Source: KSWO)

    Cold temperatures across Texoma are causing ponds and lake to freeze over which prompted the Geronimo Volunteer Fire Department to warn residents not to walk on what they think are frozen bodies of water because it could be deadly. 

    Cold temperatures across Texoma are causing ponds and lake to freeze over which prompted the Geronimo Volunteer Fire Department to warn residents not to walk on what they think are frozen bodies of water because it could be deadly. 

Powered by Frankly