Woman recounts acid attack recovery - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Woman recounts acid attack recovery

(Source: KSWO) (Source: KSWO)

DUNCAN, OK (KSWO) - A Duncan woman who was badly burned in a random attack shared her story with workers at Duncan Regional Hospital on Wednesday.

Cindi Broaddus said her appreciation of nurses grew after someone tossed a container of acid from a highway overpass, which smashed through the windshield as she and a friend were driving along the turnpike in 2001.

Broaddus said she had fallen asleep on the drive to Oklahoma City, when she was startled awake by an intense pain, with no idea what was causing it.

"I remember being really calm and talking to Jim and telling him to pull the car over and stuff,” Broaddus said. “He, on the other hand, said I was screaming bloody murder and I was yelling and that I was dying and I did think I wasn't going to live very long. I thought I was dying."

Doctors gave her a thirty percent chance of survival because she was severely burned on her face, arms, and chest.

Broaddus spent three weeks in the hospital, followed by several years of reconstructive surgery until one day she realized she didn't want any more.

"Something just came over me and I said I've had enough,” she said. “I am who I am and I'm going to look this way for the rest of my life and I'm okay with that because I knew who I was on the inside."

Broaddus was determined to live her life and wouldn't let this cause her to become bitter.

"I wished it hadn't happened but it's given me the opportunity to do good," Broaddus said.

She now speaks to other burn victims in hopes of inspiring them and others to keep going no matter what challenges come your way.

"I've had countless people tell me that if they hadn't heard me speak they wouldn't have never done this or done that,” Broaddus said. “It's just, I just love it. I love telling the story and just seeing if I can help one person."

16 years later, Broaddus still doesn't know who did this to her.  At one time, investigators believed they had a suspect but didn't have enough evidence to prove it. She says if he's ever caught, she only has one thing she wants him to do.

"Go work in a burn center,” Broaddus said. “Hear the screams and see what you've done to people so maybe you won't do this to anybody else."

After she recovered, she wrote a book and began to travel the world, telling her story in the hopes of inspiring others.

Copyright 2017 KSWO. All rights reserved.

In reversal, Trump signs order stopping family separation

Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 6:13 AM EDT2018-06-23 10:13:30 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.

Lawyer: No apparent justification for fatal shooting of teen

Thursday, June 21 2018 8:22 AM EDT2018-06-21 12:22:06 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 6:06 AM EDT2018-06-23 10:06:19 GMT
    (Steve Mellon/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP). Leonard Hammonds II, of Penn Hills, right, points out that a Turtle Creek Police officer has his had on his weapon during a rally in East Pittsburgh, Pa., on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, at a protest regardin...(Steve Mellon/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via AP). Leonard Hammonds II, of Penn Hills, right, points out that a Turtle Creek Police officer has his had on his weapon during a rally in East Pittsburgh, Pa., on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, at a protest regardin...

Hundreds of people took to the streets to protest the fatal police shooting of a 17-year-old boy killed just seconds after he fled a traffic stop during a confrontation partly captured on video.

GOP struggles to salvage immigration bill, postpones vote

Thursday, June 21 2018 12:41 AM EDT2018-06-21 04:41:36 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:56 AM EDT2018-06-23 09:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis., joined by House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., left, and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, talks following a closed-door conference with fellow Rep...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis., joined by House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La., left, and House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, talks following a closed-door conference with fellow Rep...

An ambitious House GOP immigration overhaul is teetering ahead of voting.

An ambitious House GOP immigration overhaul is teetering ahead of voting.