LAWTON, Ok (KSWO) - The Lawton Community Foundation handed out over $250,000 to area non-profit and charitable organizations on Thursday.
Local charitable organizations received $163,042 which was split between 44 recipients. Two other grant programs doled out $89,325 to 22 nonprofits in the area.
According to a press release, the Lawton Community Foundation awarded $44,325 in grants to 10 area charitable organizations through the Community Grants program and $45,000 to 15 nonprofits through the Matching Grants program.
The list of recipients is listed below:
Armed Services YMCA Lawton Fort Sill - $5,000 to support their child care program for civilian and military families.
· Center for Creative Living - $3,500 to replace and update staff computers.
· City of Lawton Police Department - $5,000 to send a police executive to the Southern Police Institute for succession planning and training.
· Giddy Up 'N Go - $4,325 for improvements to horse stalls, grooming supplies, supplements and first aid items.
· Girl Scouts – Western Oklahoma - $5,000 for their Be a Friend First (BFF) program – a bully prevention program in Lawton Public Schools that provides girls unique, girl-specific strategies to deal with relational aggression.
· Lawton High School/Lawton Public Schools - $3,000 for the Ignition Freshmen Mentoring program that provides support and guidance to freshmen from upperclassmen, teachers and administrators to increase student success throughout their high school career.
· Lawton Philharmonic Society - $5,000 to support the Lawton Philharmonic Stop & Smell the Music concert with cellist Nat Chaitkin's Bach & Boombox, a performance that incorporates classical, pop and jazz to create an interesting way to draw students and adults into the world of music.
· Lawton Public School Foundation - $5,000 for Chromebooks in classrooms to help close achievement gaps by providing students with up-to-date resources.
· Teen Court - $5,000 for the Delinquency Prevention program that educates and provides first time misdemeanor offenders between the ages of 10 and 18 with a hearing and sentencing from peers.
· United Way of Southwest Oklahoma - $3,500 for the Success By 6 program that works to ensure all children are ready and able to succeed when they enter school.
Additionally, the Matching Grant program offers up to $3,000 in matching funds for $5,000 in gifts to endowments at the Lawton Community Foundation. Gifts to the following charitable organization endowment funds will be matched through June 30, 2018.
· Armed Services YMCA Gene Love Endowment Fund
· Artillery OCS Alumni Chapter
· Bernice Ford Price Library Endowment
· Cache School Education Foundation
· Friends of Ft. Sill
· Greater Lawton Rotary Club Endowment
· Kathy Bea Holsinger Reese Memorial Fund – St. Paul's United Methodist Church
· Lawton AMBUCS Lou Brox Endowment Fund
· Lawton Food Bank
· Lawton Philharmonic Orchestra
· Nell Franklin Scholarship Fund
· St. John Lutheran Church
· United States Field Artillery Association Foundation
· United Way
· Western Trail Historical Society