Eisenhower swimmer signs with Southern Illinois University - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Eisenhower swimmer signs with Southern Illinois University

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) - An Eisenhower student athlete is making history as Lawton's first swimmer to sign a letter of intent with a D-1 school. Deven Speed received a scholarship to swim at Southern Illinois University next fall.

When Speed first started swimming at just 5 years old, getting a division one scholarship was just a dream.

"It was very exciting, vert emotional," Speed said.

She said the countless hours of traveling to meets, practices and doing homework in the car paid off in the long run.

"I've just been working harder and harder so I can get to the goals I wanted, and I've accomplished them," Speed said. "I'm most happy about just going D1, and getting to that level. Swimming with the team, and having another coach to grow with over the next 4 years."

She credits a lot of her success to her grandfather.

"He's more than just my grandpa, he's my coach," Speed said. "He's there to coach me and get me through the hard times, but he's also there for advice."

"I'm so proud. That girl. She's my heart," Steve Sherman, Speed's grandfather said. "She's worked really hard for everything she's ever done. A lot of the swimmers in the state, I'm not saying they don't work hard, Deven just had to work harder. Just the logistics alone of getting her there for the swimming. She's also a 4-point plus student."

Speed plans on majoring in Economics and business at Southern Illinois, but for now her focus is getting better everyday and just enjoying the sport she loves.

"Swimming to me is my passion, my love," Speed said. "It makes the end of the day better. Getting in the pool and just going to practice. I can look forward to it the next day if I have a bad day."

Copyright 2017 KSWO. All rights reserved.

Trump finds it 'inconceivable' lawyer would tape a client

Saturday, July 21 2018 9:26 AM EDT2018-07-21 13:26:09 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:02 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:02:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File). FILE - In this April 26, 2018 file photo, Michael Cohen leaves federal court in New York.  President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer secretly recorded Trump discussing payments to a former Playboy model who said she h...(AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File). FILE - In this April 26, 2018 file photo, Michael Cohen leaves federal court in New York. President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer secretly recorded Trump discussing payments to a former Playboy model who said she h...

President Donald Trump claims that his former personal lawyer's taping of their private phone conversations is "totally unheard of & perhaps illegal.".

Survivor recounts boat accident that killed 9 family members

Saturday, July 21 2018 12:18 AM EDT2018-07-21 04:18:54 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:01 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:01:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People pray outside Ride the Ducks, an amphibious tour operator involved in a boating accident on Table Rock Lake, Friday, July 20, 2018 in Branson, Mo.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People pray outside Ride the Ducks, an amphibious tour operator involved in a boating accident on Table Rock Lake, Friday, July 20, 2018 in Branson, Mo.

More than half of the 17 people killed when a tourist boat sank on a Branson lake were members of the same Indiana family, and they likely wouldn't have been on the ill-fated trip but for a ticket mix-up.

And now he is 5: Britain's Prince George marks birthday

Sunday, July 22 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-07-22 11:34:16 GMT
    Sunday, July 22 2018 12:00 PM EDT2018-07-22 16:00:13 GMT
    The third in line for the British throne is celebrating a milestone. (Source: Twitter/KensingtonPalace/Matt Porteous)The third in line for the British throne is celebrating a milestone. (Source: Twitter/KensingtonPalace/Matt Porteous)

Britain's Prince William and his wife Kate release a new photo of Prince George to mark his fifth birthday.