Lawton business owner thwarts armed robber - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Lawton business owner thwarts armed robber

(Source Comanche County Jail) (Source Comanche County Jail)

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) - A Lawton man is behind bars after being beaten up by a business owner who claims he was trying to rob him.

Daniel Carroll has been charged with First Degree Attempted Robbery for the crime.

Les McKenzie, the owner of McKenzie’s Burger Garage, said last Thursday morning, he came out to his storage shed to grab some supplies. He said when he got inside he felt something pushing into his back. That’s when he says a man told him he had a gun and demanded his money and his cell phone.

"I thought it was one of my employees giving me a hard time so I said I'll get right on that in just a minute. He said I'm not kidding I've got a gun I'm going to shoot you. I turned around and looked and I had never seen the guy before in my life,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie said everything happened quickly so he didn't have time to plan out his next move.

"I told him look I've got some money in my pocket, I'll give you some money and I reached down in my pocket and when I came back, I hit him in the left side of the head with my right hand and I turned around and hit him again and knocked his hand down. We started wrestling around and I got him outside and held him down until the police got there,” McKenzie said.

One of his employees inside the restaurant heard him shouting for help and called 911. McKenzie said he later found out the man was lying about having a gun but says he did have a 6-inch-long knife.

"It was a curved type knife, looked more like a skinning knife, a deer skinning knife or something like that."

McKenzie said he isn't entirely sure why he didn't carry his gun that day...but says he's extremely grateful that he didn't have it on him.

"That man is so lucky. I have no idea why I did but I laid my gun down on the counter that morning. I don't know why I did, normally I carry my gun out to the shop with me. The Lord has another plan for him. That's all there is to it. He wouldn't have survived. I thank God every day I didn't have to shoot him. I'm glad it came out the way it did because I don't ever want to have to shoot anybody."

Carroll is being held in the Comanche County Jail on $100,000 bond. McKenzie said he hopes stopping the man who tried to rob him will send a message.

"Listen we've got to take Lawton back,” McKenzie said. “We can't allow these people to do this. Don't give in to it if you can. Take your time and fight back if you can."

Copyright 2017 KSWO. All rights reserved.

At hearings, EPA chief seeks to divert blame for ethics woes

Thursday, April 26 2018 12:53 AM EDT2018-04-26 04:53:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:03 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:03:36 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Protesters listen to speakers talk about EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt and the state of the EPA during a protest by the American Federation of Government Employees union, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Protesters listen to speakers talk about EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt and the state of the EPA during a protest by the American Federation of Government Employees union, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, in Washington.

Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt faces potentially make-or-break hearings on Capitol Hill, where he is expected to face questions about spending and ethics scandals that have triggered bipartisan calls for his ouster.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:01 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:01:36 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Senate committee OKs bill to safeguard special counsel

Thursday, April 26 2018 12:28 AM EDT2018-04-26 04:28:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:01 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:01:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2017, file photo, former FBI Director Robert Mueller, the special counsel probing Russian interference in the 2016 election, departs Capitol Hill following a closed door meeting in Washington. Rep...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2017, file photo, former FBI Director Robert Mueller, the special counsel probing Russian interference in the 2016 election, departs Capitol Hill following a closed door meeting in Washington. Rep...

Senate panel expected to vote on legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller's job, a bill that has split Republicans.