Eisenhower girls bowling team wins 6th State Championship - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Eisenhower girls bowling team wins 6th State Championship

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) -The Eisenhower girls bowling team is still celebrating after they clinched their 6th state title last week.

They defeated Jenks, Enid and Putnam City at the state tournament to win the title. The girls are a close knit and that's why they believe teamwork was the main reason they won.

The Eisenhower girls bowling team makes the sport look easy, but winning 6 state titles is not.

"When you've won already like 5 times in a row and going for your 6th win, no one wants you to win because they're like it's our turn, so it's really nerve wracking and you have to elope to the standard that you've set for ourselves," said
Kaitlyn Esquer, a senior bowler.

"There were a lot of tears going around," said Kallie Guerassio, a senior bowler. "I was so happy. I was proud of us."

They say bonding outside of the bowling alley is their secret to success.

"They're like my sisters," said
Guerassio. "I can honestly say I can like tell them anything I want and the coaches are father figures and they treat you like one of their own."

"I've really got close with my teammates," We're more like a small family than just friends or acquaintances, so it's really nice to be able to share this bonding experience."

DeAlani Fishbeck, a sophomore on the team says she's learned a lot this year, especially from the upperclassmen.

"I've learned about teamwork a lot,"
Fishbeck. "Before, I was by myself and when I bowled with them I learned how to have good sportsmanship and able to cheer them on or even if they're bowling bad or not as well."

Some of the girls are even going off to bowl in college. Esquer is going to Oklahoma Christian in the fall. She says bowling for Eisenhower the past four years prepared her for the future.

"I've got to experience what competition feels like so I feel like I am little bit more prepared to go on to the bigger competitions now in college," said
Esquer. "Since I have already been traveling, in college, you get to travel a lot more so I will be ready for that."

The team will be at Twin Oaks bowling alley at Fort Sill on Thursday. They will be signing their state championship banner that will hang there for everyone to see.

Copyright 2018 KSWO. All rights reserved.

Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

Saturday, August 18 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 13:48:43 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:29 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:29:37 GMT
    President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo MartinPresident Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo Martin

President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

Italy's leader demands safe roads; bridge toll rises to 43

Saturday, August 18 2018 4:10 AM EDT2018-08-18 08:10:33 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:29 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:29:02 GMT
    (Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...(Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...

Italian media say three more bodies have been found in the rubble of the Genoa bridge collapse, raising the death toll to 41.

Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan dies at age 80

Saturday, August 18 2018 6:00 AM EDT2018-08-18 10:00:29 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 6:28 PM EDT2018-08-18 22:28:48 GMT
    Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has died at the age of 80. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has died at the age of 80. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Kofi Annan, one of the world's most celebrated diplomats and a charismatic symbol of the United Nations who rose through its ranks to become the first black African secretary-general, has died.