Carbon monoxide sickens 40 Tex. students - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Carbon monoxide sickens 40 Tex. students

Kilgore_A faulty boiler leaked carbon monoxide in a college residence hall for women, sickening at least 40 students, a school spokesman said.

The Kilgore College students woke up to headaches, vomiting and other reactions to a leaking furnace early Wednesday, said school spokesman Chris Craddock.

Most of the students who fell ill at Nolan Street Hall, which did not have a carbon monoxide detector, were treated and released. One student spent the night in the hospital and was discharged Thursday afternoon.

"When the fire marshal came to the door and said to evacuate, I knew this was not a joke," said Blair Victoria, a 19-year-old freshman from Houston. "I walked outside and saw the girls on the ground crying, passing out and feeling like vomiting."

The heating system was in an equipment room on the first floor of the building, Craddock said.

College officials are installing carbon monoxide monitors in buildings across campus and will upgrade the heating system at the residence hall, he said.

"We're just thankful that none of the students were hurt severely," Craddock said. "It could have been a lot worse."

The school is about 120 miles east of Dallas.

___

On the Net:

Kilgore College: http://www.kilgore.edu

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Powered by Frankly