Elgin teen in custody after early morning bomb threat

Lawton_A bomb threat has closed Elgin Schools today.  Elgin officials received the bomb threat through a phone call at about 6:30am.  That's when the decision was made to cancel school.   Officials have now given the area the all clear.  But, the dangerous threat caused a huge disruption to the school day and to the community.  It was a serious situation and was treated that way in all respects.  "The person said I planted a bomb in Elgin High School," says Elgin Police Chief Carl Bremenkamp.  "Get everybody up here and get the perimeter secured is our first job," he says.

Law enforcement, including the Sheriff's Department, Fort Sill's bomb sniffing dogs and Comanche Nation Police combed the building for any sign of a bomb or anything suspicious.  Additionally they searched for anyone who may not yet have gotten word of the threat.  "We have a lot of kids who walk to school too and we didn't want them to slip through," says Bremenkamp.

According to the Elgin High School Principal, one suspect has been arrested and two more are being questioned as to their relationship to the crime.  Authorities traced the phone call to a cell phone belonging to a juvenile, a 16 year old student, who remains in police custody.  The school is now secure and school is on for tomorrow.  All extra-curricular activities are scheduled as normal for today, with the exception of the band concert.  That has been canceled for tonight.

The superintendent of the schools Tom Crimmins says this is normal procedure.  "We do not take bomb threats lightly; and home may be the best place for them,"  he says.  "When there's a bomb threat, we go completely through the building - law enforcement does."  Although the whole disruption seems to be a prank, it was definitely not funny and the person responsible could face very serious charges, probably through the juvenile justice system.  7News remains in close contact with officials in Elgin about the investigation.