Grady County man peeved over potholes

Duncan_Torn up, rough and tumble county roads in southwest Oklahoma can give a driver a headache.  Most of us have driven over them, or trying to avoid dangerous potholes.  But, one viewer says he's so sick and tired of dodging them, he decided to call 7News.

Arlen May gave us a call because he says he's tired of driving around the potholes.  He says he believes most of the damage has been caused by big oil company trucks, and he wants them to reimburse counties for tearing up roads.

May lives in Duncan, and has cattle in nearby Grady County - so, he uses one particular road all his life.  "It was a better road to drive on in 1958 than 2008, when it didn't have concrete or asphalt on it," he says.  "The oil field has come in here and put these wheels and they have done more damage in the last 12 months than the local traffic has in the past 30 years."

In fact, May says all of the overweight trucks are actually putting holes in the road.  He says their unavoidable, even if you know where they are.

Grady County Commissioner Jack Porter, whose office is responsible for maintaining county roads, admits there is a lot of oil field traffic.  But, he says the companies pay their fair share.  "The oil companies do pay a gross production tax," says Porter.  He says while there is a lot of oil field traffic, they contribute a lot of production money toward road repairs.

But, Porter says the larger problem can be blamed on the season.  He says it's difficult to use asphalt during the winter, and the county is behind because of the cold weather.  "Plus we have a super have workload from the floods last year," he says.  "But, we're working as hard and as fast as we can."

May says he believes they're not working fast enough, and he says the ride is not only rough - it's expensive.  He just spent $700 on repairs for his truck.  He believes the potholes are to blame for tearing up the front end of the truck.  "There's one spot on this road that would turn a light vehicle sideways," he says.

County commissioners say if you know of a damaged county road, give them a call.