Indian suit seeks $58 Billion - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Indian suit seeks $58 Billion

Washington_American Indian plaintiffs say the United States owes them $58 billion in a long-running lawsuit over government mismanagement of lands.

Plaintiffs in the 12-year-old lawsuit submitted the filing to federal court this week after U.S. District Judge James Robertson asked for their input.

The suit, first filed in 1996 by Blackfeet Indian Elouise Cobell, claims the government has mismanaged billions of dollars in royalties held in trust from American Indian lands dating back to 1887.

In a January decision, Robertson said Interior Department accounting for billions of dollars owed to American Indian landholders has been "unreasonably delayed" and is ultimately impossible.

At the same time, Robertson said the overall task is not hopeless, and he has set a June trial date to find a remedy for the seemingly endless legal battle. The government will have a chance to respond to the plaintiffs' filing before the trial.

In a statement, the plaintiffs said the $58 billion number represent the accumulated savings the government has earned from dollars that should have been promptly deposited into individual Indian trust accounts.

Cobell said the $58 billion number is reasonable. Earlier estimates by the plaintiffs have had the government owing $100 billion or more.

"We believe that our numbers are very conservative and represent the minimum harm that Indians have suffered under our broken trust system," she said.

The government proposed paying $7 billion partly to settle the Cobell lawsuit last year, but that was rejected by the plaintiffs.

Interior Department aides did not immediately return requests for comment.

Mary Kay Jalonick, AP Writer © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • US general says illegal nuclear launch order can be refused

    US general says illegal nuclear launch order can be refused

    Saturday, November 18 2017 6:09 PM EST2017-11-18 23:09:48 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 3:30 AM EST2017-11-19 08:30:24 GMT

    The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command says an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

    The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command says an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

  • Trump campaign created own rules on sexual harassment

    Trump campaign created own rules on sexual harassment

    Saturday, November 18 2017 3:09 AM EST2017-11-18 08:09:31 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 3:00 AM EST2017-11-19 08:00:40 GMT

    While allegations of sexual harassment topple the careers of some men, Trump moves ahead unscathed as he writes his own rules.

    While allegations of sexual harassment topple the careers of some men, Trump moves ahead unscathed as he writes his own rules.

  • Moore critic: Alabama Senate race a battle for nation's soul

    Moore critic: Alabama Senate race a battle for nation's soul

    Friday, November 17 2017 11:39 PM EST2017-11-18 04:39:35 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 3:00 AM EST2017-11-19 08:00:28 GMT

    GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore's wife is standing by her embattled man, and she has gathered other Alabama women to his cause _ but not everyone is sticking with him.

    GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore's wife is standing by her embattled man, and she has gathered other Alabama women to his cause _ but not everyone is sticking with him.

Powered by Frankly