Ike-battered Galveston allows residents to return - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Ike-battered Galveston allows residents to return

Galveston_Thousands of residents streamed back to their storm-battered island city Wednesday, many for the first time since fleeing the wrath of Hurricane Ike nearly two weeks ago.

Huge lines of traffic backed up on the one major highway leading into Galveston, but things appeared to go smoothly once the city of about 57,000 started letting people in about 6 a.m. Many people had been waiting in their cars along Interstate 45 since before dawn.

Police officers were stationed to direct traffic at major intersections where signal lights were ripped away by the hurricane's 110-mile-per-hour wind and 12-foot storm surge on Sept. 13.

Ruben Rosas, 74, one of those who had fled to San Antonio, had joined the line on I-45 at about 3 a.m. Once he reached his first-floor apartment located on a bayou, he found that the walls and nearly all his possessions were gone. He did find a large cross that had been on his father's coffin and a small "King of Dads" statue his kids gave him when they were young.

"This is just sad, but the good thing is, I'm still around," Rosas said. "I can recuperate these things sooner or later."

City officials had prepared residents for such scenes, painting a dreary picture about living conditions on the island since Ike's devastation.

"When you come back it's not going to be the same Galveston Island you left," Mayor Pro Tem Danny Weber said Tuesday. "It's been damaged. It's been broken."

At least 61 deaths, 26 of them in Texas, were blamed on the Category 2 hurricane and its remnants.

Roughly 45,000 of the city's 57,000 residents fled Galveston Island, about 50 miles southeast of Houston, along with hundreds of thousands more along other sections of the Texas coast.

Galveston still only has limited medical, power, water and sewer system capabilities.

Marty Bahamonde, with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, advised residents who planned to stay to be self-sufficient and to bring their own food, water and gasoline. There is a nightly curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

"We do want to caution folks. There will be some struggles," Bahamonde said.

Health care services on the island also are limited, warned Mark Guidry, head of the Galveston County Health District.

"There remains significant health and safety concerns on the island," he said.

Residents of the island's severely damaged west end may visit their homes but are not being allowed to stay.

City Manager Steve LeBlanc said more hotels in Galveston are reopening and will be available for residents who return and find that their homes are uninhabitable, but he expects those rooms will be quickly snapped up.

City officials are working on a plan to provide temporary shelters on the mainland for people whose homes are not habitable. But LeBlanc stressed the shelters would be available only for a short time.

City leaders also are looking at setting up a shuttle service to take residents from the temporary shelters to their houses during the day so they can make repairs and clean up.

In spite of the problems, Galveston is slowly coming back to life with some stores and restaurants reopening, and there are other signs of recovery throughout southeast Texas.

CenterPoint Energy Inc. reported on Tuesday that 73 percent of its 2.26 million customers now had electricity. Entergy Texas reported that 89 percent of its nearly 393,000 customers affected by Hurricane Ike had power again.

On Tuesday, Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas and other city leaders went to Washington to ask lawmakers for nearly $2.5 billion in emergency funds.

Galveston leaders are optimistic their city will bounce back.

"This is our island. We are going to rebuild it and we are going to rebuild it bigger and better than it was," Weber said.

Juan Lozano, AP Writer © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • The Latest: Official: 18 soldiers killed in west Afghanistan

    The Latest: Official: 18 soldiers killed in west Afghanistan

    Saturday, February 24 2018 1:15 AM EST2018-02-24 06:15:26 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 1:18 PM EST2018-02-24 18:18:18 GMT
    (AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini). Security forces inspect the site of a suicide bombing in the diplomatic area of capital Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.  Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said several people were wounded in Saturday's a...(AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini). Security forces inspect the site of a suicide bombing in the diplomatic area of capital Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018. Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said several people were wounded in Saturday's a...

    Afghan official says at least three security personnel have been killed in separate suicide bombing attacks in southern Helmand province.

    Afghan official says at least three security personnel have been killed in separate suicide bombing attacks in southern Helmand province.

  • Indictment of Missouri governor could have political ripples

    Indictment of Missouri governor could have political ripples

    Saturday, February 24 2018 9:15 AM EST2018-02-24 14:15:50 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 1:17 PM EST2018-02-24 18:17:31 GMT
    It didn't take long after Greitens was indicted for alleged invasion of privacy for Missouri Democrats to tie him to Attorney General Josh Hawley. (Source: AP Photos)It didn't take long after Greitens was indicted for alleged invasion of privacy for Missouri Democrats to tie him to Attorney General Josh Hawley. (Source: AP Photos)

    The indictment of Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on felony invasion of privacy charges could have political implications beyond his office.

    The indictment of Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on felony invasion of privacy charges could have political implications beyond his office.

  • After years of dejection, proponents of gun laws see hope

    After years of dejection, proponents of gun laws see hope

    Saturday, February 24 2018 10:35 AM EST2018-02-24 15:35:23 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 1:17 PM EST2018-02-24 18:17:07 GMT
    The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)

    "Our kids have started a revolution:" Teens' activism after Florida school shooting has some hopeful for action on gun policy.

    "Our kids have started a revolution:" Teens' activism after Florida school shooting has some hopeful for action on gun policy.

Powered by Frankly