Tragedy strikes twice for young Lawton mother - KSWO 7News | Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Tragedy strikes twice for young Lawton mother

Lawton_Tragedy has struck twice within two months for a young Lawton.  Her first child - a one month old twin boy - died two months ago.  Melissa Nichols told police she woke up in the middle of the night and found the baby dead in her bed.  This past Saturday, it happened again - the three-month old twin brother died.

In both cases, police say that 23-year-old Melissa Nichols went to sleep with her babies in her bed.  They say that in the latest case, Nichols went to sleep on a sofa with the infant.  When she awoke, she says the baby wasn't breathing.  The incident is nearly the same as in the case of her first baby's death three months ago.  Police say that Nichols was in bed with the first twin when he died.

When Kaisen Nichols' mother awoke at about 8:30 a.m., she told police she noticed something was wrong.  "She woke up about 8:30 a.m., heard what she thought was  gurgling coming from the baby, and noticed he was somewhat limp," said Lawton Police Detective Brad Davis.  Police say Nichols suctioned the 3-month-old's nose to clear his air passage, and then performed CPR.  "That's when they learned he was not breathing and did not have a pulse," said Davis.

Police say Nichols and her roommate rushed the infant to the hospital, but they say it was too late.  Investigators say that this baby's death mirrors the death of his twin two months ago.  "Both twins were boys," said Davis.  "Approximately two months ago, the other child was found deceased in kind of the same manner - in bed."

Police say that there were no visible physical signs of trauma to either of the babies, and are waiting for autopsy reports.  "Anytime there is a death - no matter age or whatever - we still look into it.  We don't want to just assume it was natural or anything like that," said Davis.  "We look into every case as if there could possibly be foul play involved."

Police say that the infant who died two months ago had some medical problems that could have played a role in his death, but his brother had no known medical problems.  In fact, police say his mother took him to the hospital just last week for treatment of what could have been a cold.  Doctors released the baby with no medicine or diagnosis.  Police say Nichols also has a four-year-old son, and that the Department of Human Services is investigating the safety of that child.

Count on 7News to let you know what the autopsies reveal.

Powered by Frankly