UPDATE: Lawton home invasion suspect captured

Published: Feb. 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM CST|Updated: Feb. 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAWTON, Okla. – New information on the man who police say is responsible for a brutal weekend home invasion.

As 7News first reported, 33-year-old Aaron Stone was arrested late Monday night by Cleveland County Deputies, Oklahoma City Police, and U.S. Marshals in Moore, Oklahoma.

Stone was arrested after a one-hour standoff in a storage facility.  Officials say Stone barricaded himself inside.  He has since then been transported to the Comanche County Jail.

As police suspected, Stone was on the run.  He went to Moore where he thought he had family and friends who he could turn to.  But officials say once they found out what he had done, he was left in the cold and tried to hide out in a storage facility where he was spotted and eventually taken into custody.

Stone is behind bars now, a place where U.S. Marshal A.D. Templeton says he belongs after what he did.

"This is something that nobody on the planet would want to happen to their family," said Templeton.

According to the U.S. Marshals Service, Stone did not randomly target this family.  Stone was the former cellmate of the woman's brother.  After he sexually and physically assaulted her and beat her family he, like many criminals, ran.

"I don't know if they really hope to accomplish anything.  I think they are just trying to delay the inevitable," said Templeton.

After three days on the run Stone found himself trapped in a storage facility.

"He barricaded himself in this house boat and told them he had all kinds of weapons and incendiaries and things of that nature."

Helicopters were brought in just in case Stone decided to run, but once law enforcement realized he was not as heavily armed as he led them to believe, they went in and arrested him.  Once in custody Stone did not have much to say and did not put up a fight.  Templeton says he thinks Stone knew no one was going to let him get away.

"I think any police officer in the U.S. or even the world, when you start talking about victims crime being an entire family, that makes it extremely more personal, cause you can sit there and relate.  Would you want this person coming in your house and do this to your wife and children?  I'm not saying we work harder or less on any type of crime, but maybe the emotions roll higher on something like this."

You may remember Stone did steal the family's car.  That was recovered last night as well.  They also say they believe he arrived in Lawton from Ada after hitchhiking.

Stone has been charged with 16 crimes.  They include burglary charges, sexual assault, kidnapping, larceny, armed robbery, and pointing a fire arm.