Man and pets die in house fire

Published: Dec. 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM CST|Updated: Mar. 26, 2015 at 8:02 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DUNCAN, Okla._A 79-year-old Stephens County man died Wednesday morning after a fire broke out in his home.

Jimmy Boydstun and his two dogs were found dead in his home at South 74th Street near Bois D'Arc. The Duncan Fire Department and the Empire Volunteer Fire Department were called to the home around 8:30 a.m. After extinguishing the flames, firefighters searched the home and made the gruesome discovery.

The State Fire Marshal has been called in to investigate, and Stephens County Sheriff's Department is assisting the investigation.

"When the fire department arrived, they did a very good job extinguishing the fire and getting it where it didn't totally consume the structure, however, when they were clearing the residence they did locate a victim in the home," said Stephens County Sheriff Wayne McKinney.

Sheriff McKinney says even though it is early in the investigation, they believe they know where the fire started.

"It appears that the bedroom area was pretty much consumed by the fire," he explained.

McKinney says they have also ruled out arson, or anything else suspicious.

"It's always tough, and especially this time of the year. We had the cold front come through, people are using their furnaces sometimes, but they've been off for a while. We don't know how the fire started, and right now the fire marshal will make the determination," said Sheriff McKinney.

One of Boydstun's neighbors described him as a wonderful man, who would always wave as you drive by. He lived alone and his next of kin lives in Houston. McKinney says this could have been a case of Boydstun just being older, and not being able to escape in time.

"It could have been, who knows it is pretty early in the investigation, but I do understand when they were clearing the house they found him in the hallway," said Sheriff McKinney.

Now that they have ruled out arson, and found where the fire started, their next step is to determine what exactly started the fire. Sheriff McKinney says the investigation could take a few days before it is completed.