Police chief shot, wounded while investigating threat

Published: Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:04 PM CST|Updated: Jan. 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SENTINEL, Okla._The Sentinel Police Chief is in the hospital recovering after being shot four times when responding to the home of a suspect in a bomb threat.

OSBI agents say a man called 911 at 4:00 a.m. Thursday, saying he had placed a bomb at the Sentinel Head Start. Police Chief Louis Ross and two Washita County deputies tracked the call to a house less than 100 yards away from the Head Start building.

Residents woke to chaos early this morning after police went storming into the home. A man inside opened fire. Sharla McDaugale was one of several neighbors who heard the commotion. She watched the whole scene unfold from the window in her front bedroom.

"I once thought they were knocking on my door because I heard such boom and noises and stuff and banging doors," said McDaugale.

Moments later, a deputy came to her door and told her that Sentinel Police Chief Louis Ross was one of three investigators who raided the home and was shot three times in the chest and once in the arm.

"And he did ask if he could wash his hands. He had blood on his hands and stuff and he is the one who told me about the bombing also," said McDaugale.

Neighbor Cheral Jaggers lives next door and is still shaken up after a stray bullet tore through her bathroom and into a wall in the hallway.

"I am just glad it was in my house and my walls and not me, because I had been in there just shortly before," said Jaggers.

Police Chief Ross was also lucky that he survived the shooting. Just before he entered the house, he borrowed a bullet proof vest from one of the deputies. Sentinel Mayor Sam Dlugonski says that vest likely saved Ross's life.

"We are all stunned by this. Lewis has been here about a year and he has done an exceptional job. He is well liked in the community. People love him and we just pray that he will get better," said Mayor Dlugonski.

The man and his wife were taken into custody and questioned for several hours by the OSBI, but right now they are not under arrest. Investigators believe he may have been unaware it was officers who entered his home.