Lawton man helps save pregnant stabbing victim

Published: Mar. 18, 2015 at 10:01 PM CDT|Updated: Mar. 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAWTON, Okla._A Lawton man helped save a stabbing victim's life when he just happened to be in the right place at the right time, with the right skills.

A man and a pregnant woman were on I-35 in Oklahoma City when the man allegedly began stabbing her. She was able to get out of the car, but the man caught up with her and kept stabbing her; right there on the side of the highway. That's when witnesses like Kevin Painter saw what was happening, and jumped into action to help her.

Painter is a medic for the Oklahoma National Guard, as well as an assistant Boy Scout scoutmaster. But despite that experience, he said this was something he had never seen before.

"We're trained for combat situations, not your everyday run of the mill stuff. But this was by no means run of the mill," said Painter as he recalled what happened.

Painter said he was on his way to do some shopping when he saw the man on the side of the road, swinging a knife at the woman and knew he had to do something to help.

"If somebody didn't stop him, he was going to kill her," said Painter.

So, he pulled off the highway and was able to park between the two. Within a few seconds, some other witnesses did the same thing. That's when the attacker got scared and ultimately jumped off the bridge. Once that happened, Painter turned his attention to the woman.

"The biggest thing I was concerned with was getting the bleeding stopped and getting her calmed down. That way it would stay stopped," explained Painter.

Painter went on to call the paramedics and did his best to comfort her and tend to her wounds. Paramedics arrived minutes later to take her to a local hospital. He said his training in the Boy Scouts helped him keep calm in this wild situation.

"I always kind of think about the Boy Scout motto, 'Be prepared.' And it doesn't mean for one thing in particular, it means for anything," said Painter.

Painter said he hasn't talked to the woman since that day, but after the incident, officials told him that both she and the man were going to be ok.

As of Wednesday, no charges have been filed against the man for the assault.