Family remembers loved one killed in shooting

Family remembers loved one killed in shooting

LAWTON, OK (KSWO) - The family of a man shot and killed in his Lawton home says they are still trying to come to terms with everything that has happened.

35-year-old Michael Smith was found with multiple gunshot wounds at his home last Saturday night. Now, nearly a week later, the family is remembering their lost loved one.

This week, Michael Smith's uncle Tommy Lee says the family has spent a lot of time thinking back to the good times they had with him.

"Michael Smith was the kind of guy who walked into the room and lit up the entire room," Lee said. "He never met a stranger and he was always wanting to help others and he was a great family man to his children."

Lee said Smith left behind three children and that this week has been an emotional one for everyone involved.

"It's been the toughest thing that my family has went through, it's the toughest thing I've ever had to do, I'll be burying my nephew this Saturday and words can't begin to explain the loss, how great it is on us," Lee said.

Thursday, Lee told stories of Smith and showed pictures of him and his kids, including one taken the same day as his death.

"This is the hardest one for my family and I to look at because it reflects the final thing that my nephew did before his death that day," Lee said.

Lee says they are getting by thanks to the outreach and support from people in the community who knew Michael.

"People come forward like they do, it shows the spirit of Oklahomans that they will help you in a time of tragedy," Lee said.

Lee says Smith was that same kind of person whenever someone else was in need.

"If you were needing help on something, he didn't have to know you, he'd jump right in or roll his sleeves up and help you out," Lee said. "He was that kind of person. He is going to be greatly missed for many years."

Funeral services have been set for Smith this Saturday at the Cache High School auditorium. The family will visit from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m. and friends may visit from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. The service begins at 2 p.m.

The investigation into Smith's death is still underway as police continue to interview witnesses of the shooting. Detectives have developed a person of interest in the case but, as of right now, no arrests have been made.

Copyright 2016 KSWO. All rights reserved